On electric fences: or I think I'm in love with Robbie McEwen - Go East old man... - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2014

On electric fences: or I think I'm in love with Robbie McEwen

This entry is going to delve into intimate aspects of the human anatomy, so dear reader, you have been prewarned.

One of the things I appreciate about this site are the people who write their crazy cycling stories and their wonderful insights. Will Rogers said there are three types of people: the one who learns from reading; the few who can learn from observing others; and the rest of us who just have to pee on the electric fence ourselves. I often find myself in that third group. I think I'm there right now. But I keep reading the insightful stories on CGOAB, in the hope I will someday evolve beyond fence peeing.

I've tried to set no hard and fast goals and tried to take it easy on this ride, knowing that slow and easy is the right way for me to go. And I'm certain that it is. Everything and everybody has been fantastic, no complaints there.

So far 99.9% of my body has held up well, exceeding all expectations. It's that .1% that is letting me down right now and has me wondering what to do next.

It's embarrassing, but I think I just have to go and state it plain and simple: It's my bunghole/anus/piles/haemorrhoids. Never was a problem in the past, but it sure is now.

I guess it was the bouncing around on dirt roads for 5 days. I had some Bag Balm and some Robbie McEwen chamois cream in case of saddle sores. Robbie's cream helped a lot, but required liberal application throughout the day, for 3 days. It was not a pleasant experience. With so little traffic at least there was little chance of getting caught mooning passing families as I frequently stopped on the roadside to air my backsides! On the positive side I won't have to treat the saddle for at least a year. But on the negative side, my ass is shredded and this could end my tour.

I sure wish someone on this site could have written about it before, but then I wouldn't have thought it would ever apply to me, would I? Gotta pee on that fence myself, don't I?

I will lay over here in Norseman for a few days and see how things heal up before I decide what to do next. Norseman is the point of no return, beyond here it becomes increasingly difficult to turn around.

And no, there will be no photos to accompany this entry.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0