Tea Time the First: Cedar Creek Park Centric GAP Riding - Gapped Traversal of (most) the GAP: Tea Time Trilogy - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2023 to June 10, 2023

Tea Time the First: Cedar Creek Park Centric GAP Riding

In early 2023, I saw a entry on the GAP/C&O Canal Facebook group for GAP Festival 2023, a fund raiser event being held at Cedar Creek Park, which is about mile marker 110 on the GAP.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Each year I contribute to one of the clubs that maintain GAP sections and supporting this seemed like a good idea, but meant a long (210 mile one way) drive for a short event. 

But, my wife agreed to come along and do some biking, and I had Bonvoy miles that got me a free hotel room in nearby Belle Vernon PA, so we turned it into a 2 day trip.

Serendipity Tea Room in Belle Vernon PA: I rubbed the sides of the teapot and a hot redhead popped out!
Heart 1 Comment 0

With an early start, we drove to Belle Vernon and had a fine lunch at the Serendipity Tea Room and Cafe in Lower Speers, checked in to the Fairfield Inn and Suites and then drove over to the GAP trailhead in Whitsett and biked about  8 mile northwest to check out Cedar Creek Park.

16 mile total out and back from Whitsett
Heart 0 Comment 0

On Saturday, the GAP Festival didn't start until noon, so we enjoyed the big hotel breakfast and then packed up and drove out to West Newton on the GAP. We biked Northwest for few miles, so I could show Carole the red waterfall.

Not much rain recently.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then turned around, biked SE to Cedar Creek Park, did a short hike on the swinging bridge trail and then enjoyed music, food and drink (and a chat with the guy who runs the GAP Conservancy organization) at the festival.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then got back on the bikes, rode back to West Newton and hopped in the car to head home. That ended up being another 16 mile total out and back ride, so around the GAP Fest we biked 32 miles to cover about 16 miles or about 10 percent of the GAP.

Heart 0 Comment 0

 On the way back, we stopped in Keyser Ridge and had lunch with Camp John alumni Ken and Felicia who have a place at Deep Creek lake. 

The next opportunity for piecemeal, tea-centric gapping will come in late July.

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 32 miles (51 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0