Day 84: Spragge to Sheguiandah - Four Corners of Canada - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2010

Day 84: Spragge to Sheguiandah

The section of Highway 17 from Spragge to Espanola was the worst road in Ontario. The shoulder is from 6 to 12 inches wide and there is heavy traffic including many trucks. It was a relief to get to Espanola so I could get off the highway and head to Manitoulin Island. Thankfully, there was a strong tailwind that pushed me along. Manitoulin Island was much more pleasant.

I stopped at a grocery store in Little Current and met Anne and Cliff at the grocery store. Anne cycled from Vancouver to Montreal in 1976 (and then saw cycling at the Olympic Velodrome). She also worked for a month in Inuvik and took the ice road to Tuktuk.

I stayed at Batman's Campground ($28) on Manitoulin Island. After I set up, a couple of cyclist pulled in. They are from Quebec and started in Vancouver on July 1 and are cycling to Montreal. They are taking the ferry to Tobermory, so I may see them tomorrow.

My plan is to cycle the 50 km to South Baymouth, take the 1:30 PM ferry to Tobermory and then stay in a campground in the area overnight.

End point:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=45.88262,-81.89539&ll=45.88262,-81.89539&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 131 km (81 miles)
Total: 10,173 km (6,317 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0