Day 76: Quetico Provincial Park to Kakabekka Falls - Four Corners of Canada - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2010

Day 76: Quetico Provincial Park to Kakabekka Falls

It started out cold today (6 degrees C), but it quickly warmed up. There was a mild tailwind.

I passed a couple of milestones today - I crossed into the eastern time zone and I crossed into the Atlantic watershed (at road marker 1586).

When I passed through Kashabowie, I stopped in for some food and asked about the time zone. The lady running the store told me that they are officially in the central time zone, but that they cheat. They actually operate in the eastern time zone since they are so close to Thunder Bay which is in the eastern time zone and kids go to school there. It seems to make sense.

I stayed at Kakabekka Falls Provincial Park ($36.75). It's a nice place, close to a small town with a grocery store and shops.

End point:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=48.3947,-89.63385&ll=48.3947,-89.63385&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Morning mist in Quetico Provincial Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mist on the lake in the morning. Taken from beside my campsite.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some nice rolling hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view at the 9000 km mark of the trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another milestone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is a nasty trick. There are cracks in the road, so they fill them in with tar. They then paint over them with white lines so that you can't see them. When it is a warm day (like today) the tar becomes soft and it affects bike handling when you ride on them. Have a look at the next picture to see the narrow shoulder and to see the difficulty in picking up this obstacle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kakabekka Falls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My campsite - tucked away in a nice quiet corner of Kakabekka Falls Provincial Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 141 km (88 miles)
Total: 9,106 km (5,655 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0