Day 53: Fort Nelson to Buckinghorse River - Four Corners of Canada - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2010

Day 53: Fort Nelson to Buckinghorse River

Today was a long day. I left at 8:00 AM, and did not arrive until 7:40 PM. There were one or two campgrounds near Prophet River, but I decided to keep going. As well, you could see the road into the old provincial park at Prophet River at about the 105 km mark, but the sign had been taken down. I continued on to Buckinghorse River Provincial Park. The roads were mostly flat until the last 30 km which seemed to be all uphill. There was a lot of altitude gain today. The bridge out of town was the lowest point on the Alcan Highway at 300 m above sea level. I climbed as high as 1135 m just before the campground according to my altimeter/watch.

Thankfully, after such a long way there was a truck stop across the road where I was able to have a big meal rather than cook myself something. It looks like a good place to have breakfast too.

I stayed at the Buckinghorse Provincial Campground ($16). You self-register here.

The plan for tomorrow is to cycle to Wonowon - about 120 km from here. It is called Wonowan because it is at historic mile 101 on the Alcan Highway. It is called historic mile for a couple of reasons. Firstly, everything is now in kilometres here in Canada. So, the higway as kilometre markers along the way. It helps to keep track of progress. Secondly, it is historic because some parts of the road have been re-routed making the miles inaccurate.

End point:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=57.38294,-122.84339&ll=57.38294,-122.84339&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Apparently, the Alcan Highway was re-routed here. As a result, the historic mile markers do not quite match the actual miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 182 km (113 miles)
Total: 5,985 km (3,717 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0