The Birds of Home - Grampies Yucatan De Nuevo, Winter 2023 - CycleBlaze

The Birds of Home

Birdwatching is fairly addictive and we are looking at, and for, new birds every day. We set up our sunflower seed feeders and within a very short time have attracted Spotted Towhees, Dark Eyed Juncos, Song Sparrows, Red Breasted Nuthatches, Chestnut Backed Chickadees and House Finches. 

Spotted Towhee
Heart 1 Comment 0
Male and female Dark Eyed Juncos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Song Sparrow
Heart 1 Comment 0
Red Breasted Nuthatch
Heart 0 Comment 0
24066 Chestnut Backed Chickadee
Heart 2 Comment 0
24067 House Finches male and female
Heart 3 Comment 0

There is also a lone Anna's Hummingbird who seems to appreciate the hanging sugar water feeder that goes out in the morning and is brought in for the night to prevent freezing. 

24068 Anna's Hummingbird
Heart 2 Comment 0

The snow on the ground is quite deep, for our part of the world, and with slightly warmer temperatures has become very sticky and heavy, with an underlying layer of ice to make getting around challenging. Despite this, we sallied forth to the north of town for some needed items and to try to spot a few more local birds. What with the low light, foggy misty air, and not too many birds out and about, we only spotted a few common types. There is still time to look for more, though, at the beach, at the dump, in our forested area, and so on. 

24069 Common Raven
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rock Pigeon - same as in Yucatan!
Heart 0 Comment 1
24070 Northwestern Crow (the American Ornithological Society actually decided, in 2020, that this was not a separate species but was really just an American Crow. Phooey on their decision, we are still calling it a Northwestern.)
Heart 0 Comment 8
Scott AndersonThis is so yesterday’s news. The American Ornithological Society decided these were actually just American Crows after all, back in 2020.

Sounds like we’re going to just miss each other in Spain once again! We don’t leave for four weeks yet. Don’t use up all the birds before we get there, por favor.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonDodie actually saw this demotion from Northwestern to American also, but we like the Northwestern designation better so........ Yeah, we will be well down the coast of Spain by the time you arrive in Valencia. And Steve says he intends to vacuum up every bird he can find! Haha.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI’ll have to remember this, and mentally put an asterisk after your bird count for the year. And you probably know btw that we’ll have to learn the new name for Anna’s hummingbird, among others?
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonWait, whoa, what? New name for Anna's Hummingbird?
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYup. The AOU has decided that all of the American birds named after a person will need renaming, sometime this year: Anna’s hummingbird, Lewis’s woodpecker, Audubon’s warbler, Bewick’s wren, Gambel’s quail, Harris’s hawk, and on and on and on.

Don’t get me started on my thoughts on this - I’m just the messenger.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonIncreasingly we find ourselves moving into the old, grumpy, intransigent camp. How mortifying to realize that if you are as old as you feel, we are positively ancient.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYou should try ablation surgery. Its wonderful to feel like a young man of 75 again!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Karen PoretTo Scott AndersonCaw, caw!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

And we are still working towards being ready to leave for Spain in another two weeks, so our days are remaining pretty full.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0