The Spanish Connection - Grampies Yucatan De Nuevo, Winter 2023 - CycleBlaze

December 8, 2023

The Spanish Connection

The Spanish word "dime" is pronounced "deemay", and it means "tell me". But as we think we heard it in Spain, it's how you answer the phone. What's more when our daughter was teaching Spanish, Dime was the title of one of the text books she used, so we associate that with learning Spanish.

But why is Spanish or learning more Spanish suddenly on our radar? Probably it is just that a fact long known to hoards of Brits has filtered through to us: Southern Spain is fairly warm in winter. According to NOAA, low temperatures in January, February, and March are about 8 or 9 degrees. That's below our comfort range, alright, but at the same time daily highs reach 17 to 19, which we would call almost ideal. And then there is the fact known to hoards of Canadian "snow birds", low temperatures in Yucatan, Mexico in winter are 19 and 20, and highs are approaching 30. That's hot!

It means that for people looking to cycle happily in Winter, while staying in the Northern hemisphere and not going to Asia or Africa (or America), the Spanish have a pretty good lock on the locations (unless they are Portuguese!).

This is what lies behind our plan to return to Valencia in February, and to continue around southern Spain (and then Portugal), before rather unwisely shooting north in April. 

But this is  December, and February is "months" away, so what to do? Jump on a plane to Yucatan, of course. We like the relatively quiet roads of Yucatan. These are found in most places there, except  not on the east side "Mayan Riviera".  Even though we have to land at Cancun, on the east side, we can escape west quite rapidly.

This time, Dodie suggested that we could go somewhere and take Spanish classes, perhaps half days, while cycling around for half days.  At first I liked the idea, but now I suspect that I am too old to learn a language effectively. We'll see what we may find, but at least we'll try to dive in and speak to people in Spanish as much as possible. 

If the half day idea is discarded, then we are going to do our usual crazy mad rushes from A to B. See the Route page, coming soon, to see what that means this time.

That Spanish teacher daughter already prepared a long list of phrases of use to cyclists. Let's begin with that by learning: "Estamos escribiendo un blog sobre nuestros viajes en bicicleta".   (We are writing a blog about our bike trips.)!

Here we go!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Suzanne GibsonYou're never too old to learn a new language, Steve! Go for it! Having some knowledge of the language enriches your experience of the country in so many ways, even if you aren't so good at speaking yet.

Looking forward to your Yucatan adventure!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Janice BranhamI like all of these plans. Looking forward to following your journey.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Tricia GrahamWe too are forming Spanish ideas though whether ot not to bike is very up in the air probably too much hill for us. Our grandson has been in Spain playing football has been there for two years he is presently playing for a team in Murcia and our daughter and husband are going over there to live for a year leaving in a couple of weeks. In addition our son has a house in a hill town in Andalucia and they spend sometime there each year so it seems a good idea to take advantage of this. We will see.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamSounds like a great opportunity, Tricia!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Tricia GrahamIf you’re thinking about Murcia and the bikes, you should look at the Cercanías. I’m not certain about the one centered on Murcia, but the others we’ve taken are very bike-friendly regional rail services - you can just roll your bikes on. This spring we’ll be taking the one from Alicante to Murcia and then west to Llorca.

It might give you some flexibility - for example, you could bike down toward the coast and then take the train back.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Kristine OvensI think you'll pick it up in no time.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago