Put on Another Log! - Grampies Yucatan De Nuevo, Winter 2023 - CycleBlaze

January 17, 2024

Put on Another Log!

Our friends the Price's collected us at the Nanaimo ferry and whisked us home on dry roads. We were of course exhausted, and they sent us promptly to our bed. By morning, we found that about 8 inches of snow had fallen. This is a lot for our region, and was easily enough for us to be "snowed in".  Fortunately we had bagels and cheese in the freezer, and chickens for eggs. Otherwise there was no fresh food in the house!

It's quite a shift to change from appreciating the shimmering turquoise Caribbean at Playa to the muffled white  Winter Wonderland here this morning. Frankly, if it were not for being snowed in to Wonderland, I would be out at the store trying to buy pina and toronja, and the like!

Early morning at home. No cut up fruits in sight!
Heart 4 Comment 4
marilyn swettYikes!!! That's why we moved to AZ to spend the winters in a snow-less climate.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo marilyn swettYup. And why we head to Mexico, or Spain, or anywhere warmer at every opportunity.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Kelly IniguezI'm back home in Colorado and have shoveled snow three times in less than 24 hours. Today in Tucson it was 76 degrees. I'm feeling a little sad - as I sit here with a blanket over my legs, in front of the fire!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kelly IniguezWe are already dreaming, planning, and actively preparing to head to sunny Spain in 3 weeks. Thank goodness for being retired.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Could go for walk in Winter Wonderland.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The first step for me in these conditions is to break out the tractor and try to clear the long driveway of snow. This does not guarantee that a car can get out, though, because with temperatures hovering at freezing, the driveway beneath the snow is super icy, and it's slightly uphill!

Dodie took the opportunity to pile all our stuff out of the way it traveled, and to dump it in the dining room.

That included taking stuff from the bike cases.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ok, now what?
Heart 2 Comment 0

Dodie passed a "fun" winter's day reorganizing the stuff. But she did take a moment for a Towhee, one of the first to find that we are home again. For some (perverse) reason, Dodie wants me to mention that when we were still on the platform at the train station in Vancouver, a bird landed right at our feet. And I failed to get his picture! My excuse is that he was running around under everybody's feet. So I owe our 2024 bird list one "sparrow".

24062 Spotted Towhee
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonA funny coincidence: I just saw my first spotted towhee of the year today too.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
After some hours of amusing play, Dodie achieved a clear table!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One result was this carefully curated pile of gear, almost completely ready for the next time we head off to Central America. Right now, that looks like next December, maybe for Costa Rica. So we are ready to go, about 10 months early! btw You can tell that this kit is for a hot country, because there is about 8 litres of water storage containers visible in the photo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0