For the Birds - Grampies Yucatan De Nuevo, Winter 2023 - CycleBlaze

December 12, 2023

For the Birds

Yucatan has lots of species of birds, 555 - according to fatbirder.com. Riding along looking up, which is Dodie's specialty, lots of different ones can be seen just on the phone wires. We have loved seeing wildlife our whole lives, just as we have loved cycling. Photographing what we see, and putting the shots in the blog is a newer idea. We took a lot of inspiration for this from Scott Anderson, and we were amazed by the bird shots of Jean-Marc Strydom, cycling all over the world and in Yucatan too.  And then there  is Bill Shaneyfelt, a cyclist and dedicated Cycleblaze reader, who can usually be counted on to identify fauna and flora discovered by many Cycleblaze authors.

Last year we included Rio Lagartos in our trip, and we went out in a boat with an excellent guide. He pointed out many birds,and I was disappointed in the quality of my photos, taken with a tiny Nikon point and shoot. Well, what did I expect. Jean-Marc for example, travels with a big bag of professional gear, and you can really see it in his great shots. I wasn't trying to be Jean-Marc, but still I was disappointed.  That's where Scott and also Suzanne Gibson recommended a Lumix camera that is still just a little point and shoot, but it's quality is way more than the Nikon, for a bit more weight. So, I am hoping to do better this time around.

Despite camera limitations, and the fact that I myself never see anything, Dodie and I did come up with photos of 68 species last time.  It was kind of embarrassing, though, because I would get a nice looking yellow breasted bird and in the caption put "Wow, what's this?". Scott and Bill would then comment something like Tropical Kingbird. OK. But a day later I would be back with the same bird and the same question. They were always patient about this, but we finally bought a (very heavy) birds of Yucatan book, half way through the trip.  I also assembled the photos of all 68 species we have already seen, so we should be less likely to wonder about the more common and obvious ones we may see this time.

We also just got a really handy waterproof fold out Birds of the Yucatan guide, with about 150 very clear illustrations.  That gives us room to more than double the number of species we have identified.

For example, look at this one, photographed so well by Jean-Marc at Uxmal:

Credit for this to Jean-Marc Strydom
Heart 4 Comment 0

It is clearly a Masked Tityra -there it is on the foldout guide! And ha, there is also the Tropical Kingbird. Scott and Bill, you won't have to coach me on that any more!

One side of the folding guide to Birds of Yucatan.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Masked Tityra
Heart 1 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltYou have no idea how much looking back and forth at dozens of almost-alike bird pictures on the internet that it takes for me to "maybe" come up with an ID. My specialty is actually lizards in the Phoenix AZ area. But it is fun to dig around and figure stuff out. Now, if only I could remember from day to day what I recently looked up!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Bill ShaneyfeltI have a lizard question, Bill. Do they hibernate? I try to close the garage door in Tucson quickly, as I have twice had to shoo lizards back outside. Jacinto says it's too cold now to worry about lizards. I know I could google this, but it is more fun to ask our local expert!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Kelly IniguezMost lizards do not actually hibernate like mammals. They become very slow at lower temperatures and in AZ, the species that tolerate cooler temperatures such as side blotched lizards can often be found on any warm day even in the winter. At higher elevations there are lizards that actually hibernate, so it really depends on location and species.

In northern states the number of lizard species is very small...

Fun fact. Some lizard and snake species lay eggs in their southern range and have live birth in north... not enough time for eggs to develop if laid in the ground, but the adult can move around and make use of residual warmth.

Now you are really confused?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Bill ShaneyfeltAll very interesting. I'd love to get you a photo or two, but the darned little guys are fast. My best viewing (although not a good one from the lizard's perspective) was a road runner who had a lizard in his mouth. Lunch!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

It's the day before we ourselves fly, and we have worked through a long list of last minute chores.  This includes cleaning the house. There is something instinctive (in us anyway) about not wanting to leave a dirty house.  But with every last thing scratched off the list, what next? Ahh, watch a DVD of course, and what better one in the circumstances than David Attenborough's  "The Life of Birds"?  Attenborough's videos always have amazing footage, but it's his voice we like best. The only problem is that Attenborough is so soothing we can not stay awake long. Oh well, we'll be rested for the big travel day tomorrow!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Keith ClassenSafe travels guys! Look forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Kelly IniguezSmooth travels. I hope all of your luggage shows up when and where it should.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonLooking forward to what you come back with, The Yucatán looks like such an extraordinary birding region. Pro tip: it helps to stand still when you’re taking a shot!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonSo that would differ from my standard technique of cycling by, waving the camera, and shouting "Where, where!"!

p.s. Watching Attenborough - it's so amazing what great video it's possible to get, obviously with the right technique, gear, and time.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago