Day 28: Izamal to Chichen Itza - Grampies Yucatan De Nuevo, Winter 2023 - CycleBlaze

January 9, 2024

Day 28: Izamal to Chichen Itza

Heart 0 Comment 0

We left Izamal just about dawn today, because we knew it was a bit of  a long haul to Chichen Itza. We also had a plan to at least check out the much touted birding site, at the Hacienda Chichen, which is near the ruins.

The core of Izamal is really nice, with its neatly yellow painted houses. The paint did not reach to the more outlying bits, but there are still some nice places there as well.

Outskirts of Izamal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quite nice house
Heart 0 Comment 0

The sun rises (and sets) very quickly in the Tropics. So it was just a minute or two between when we saw the first little ball, to the glowing orb.

Little ball
Heart 2 Comment 0
Glowing orb.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Backlit in the early morning, our first Motmot appeared. It's a Turquoise Crowned.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Also in the early morning gloom, there arose the fairy tale like San Damian Monastery.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

And looking into the grounds of the monastery, another Motmot!

Heart 2 Comment 0

At Sitilpech we found a nice, small church, and the expected coloured lettering of the town's name. But as happened for the whole day today, the little pueblo was too small, or poor, to offer us a chance at any sustaining food.

Heart 1 Comment 0
24044 Boat Billed Flycatcher
Heart 0 Comment 0
Double Groove Billed Anis. We often see them in groups.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's such a weird looking bird!
Heart 2 Comment 0

We were now definitely in cattle country, with ranches appearing on either side, not to mention some actual cattle.

This was a cute one
Heart 1 Comment 0
He is big, but look how sweet he is.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A Roadside Hawk
Heart 2 Comment 0

We were puzzled to see some full scale irrigation going on. We could not quite understand what they were trying to grow, but we were sure that this requires a cenote or well, and a powerful engine and pump. We didn't hear that, so this water must be coming from a fair distance.

First major irrigation we've seen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
American Kestrel
Heart 0 Comment 0

By one of the ranches there was a lot of corral space, and both cattle and workers doing their thing. Nearby we were lucky to spot a natural match for these activities - Cowbirds!

79/24045 Bronzed Cowbird. Dodie has been looking for these. Unlike the Grackle it has a red and not a yellow eye.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cowbirds!
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were also Grooved Billed Anis about, some doing their strange ritual!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The town of Tunkas did have a nice arch over the road, but nothing elese for us, except a rare glimpse of a grey squirrel, a seat in the square where we watched the Christmas lights coming down, and a look into the church. The church was humble and not well maintained, but it was decorated with fresh flowers, including gladiolus and other types we seldom see here.

Good start
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Tunkas squirrel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical street
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church
Heart 0 Comment 0
Christmas is over!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Norfolk Island Pines in the square
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fresh flowers
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the "rose window" position was this stained glass. Who are these guys?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Andrea BrownOne of the Santo Tomases. I can’t read the bottom line.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Karen PoretTo Andrea BrownApostle
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
The otherwise plain church
Heart 0 Comment 0
Except for a massive door.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These cords go straight to to the (two) bells. One bell is missing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was tempting to pull on these.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back on the road, which generally looked like this today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is a twin wasp and bird's nest.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Watch out, the wasps are at home!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Although Mexico may have had some official royalty, the Queen of Mexico is the Virgin of Guadalupe, for sure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
80/24046 Cinnamon Hummingbird
Heart 3 Comment 0

The major state to the east of here, the one with Cancun, is called Quintana Roo, but apparently the guy was from Yucatan, and the little town we are in now was renamed for him twenty years after his death in 1851. Quintana Roo was a major figure in the Mexican war of independence and helped to draft the new constitution.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church in Quintana Roo
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the cemetery we found Coco style decoration.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We swung past Dzitas without stopping in, but we did stop for some small caves by the roadside. Dodie thought she saw birds nests inside, but in fact they were another kind of wasp's nest.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh, oh, look who is home.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We knew we were getting close to our destination when we crossed over the toll road 180 and also the Mayan Train line. We then cruised into Piste and out past Chichen Itza, which at this time of week/time of day did not have the usual crush of cars and busses.

The train and the big road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We didn't pay much attention to Piste or Chichen Itza, because we were intent on going to see the grounds of the Hacienda Chichen, and not to mention then reaching the  pool and the restaurant of  the Doralba Inn, our stop for the night.

On the road to the Hacienda, a Plumeria?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like it.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/48319-Plumeria/browse_photos?place_id=67478
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
The approach to the Hacienda looked suitably jungly. The guard at the entrance would not let us in without a reservation to stay, but he did allow we could get in in the morning for breakfast at its restaurant. We'll try that. The man, by the way, claimed he spoke mainly Mayan, but we forced him to speak Spanish. In Spanish we can get the sense of what is being said, but Mayan is tough!
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the Doralba, perhaps they saw us coming and are raising the rates?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love the place, though.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Atop a palapa they had two 24047 Ruddy Ground Doves.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were lots of birds even here, in front of the Doralba. As we sat at the restaurant we watched a Great Kiskadee zoom low over the pool, and splash up some water, like a water bomber plane. A Grackle, though,  got right in there and had a grand old time.

The Kiskadee is shaking off the water
Heart 1 Comment 0
Still looks a bit damp.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This Grackle has another approach to swimming
Heart 2 Comment 0
The big jump
Heart 1 Comment 0
Drowning?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nope, just having fun, now standing on a ledge.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThat’s really great. Grackles are such wonderful birds.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

We were really hungry by the time we made our orders in the restaurant. This restaurant does not have a lot of choice, or particularly big servings, but the marination used for the poc chuc and the pollo pibil was excellent. At 180 pesos per main dish, they were a little high, but then this is a real tourist hot spot.

Poc Chuc below, Pollo Pibil above, both yummy.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 1,189 km (738 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0