Day 12: Valladolid - Day 1 - Grampies Yucatan De Nuevo, Winter 2023 - CycleBlaze

December 24, 2023

Day 12: Valladolid - Day 1

Heart 0 Comment 0

Although not at all fancy, the hotel San Clemente is a place we look forward to coming back to. The rooms are arranged around a central courtyard, with a garden, pool, and a reasonably priced restaurant with seating in the garden. Also, we we are just off the main square, and across the street from the Cathedral.

We took breakfast in the garden, as we had long planned to do. My huevos estrellados con tocino (fried eggs with bacon) seem to be staying down, although now I have a disturbance of balance and taste.  It does seem that some form of illness catches us on visits to Mexico, despite our best precautions.

Our Place
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first step was to walk across the street to the cathedral, where we found a service in progress.  We took a seat and contributed to the collection. Interestingly, one of the first parts of the service had Bob Dylan's "Blowing in the Wind" played over the loudspeakers, in Spanish. We think this was part of an early in the service  appeal for peace in the world and found it's ecumenical nature, drawing from a different original language and culture,  touching.  However, although we always end up in churches, drawn by architecture, art, music, culture and history, actual services always make me nervous. To see people bowing, crossing themselves, and praying in deference to (to us) purely mythological stories and concepts, and before statues and stuff that were sourced from some kind of church supply wholesale, makes me sad. Oh well - let's get on with the architecture and art:

The church of Saint Servatius. This was built in 1706, replacing the previous church, which was from 1545. Paying a little closer attention to a nearby historical marker, I found that the 1705 demolition and rebuild was because the church was "desecrated" by the so called Crime of the Mayors. Here is the story: In 1705, this church was demolished by order of the Bishop Pedro de los Reyes Ríos because of its desecration during the event known as the "Crime of the Mayors." Captain Hipólito de Osorno, once he had lost his political power, together with his friend Pedro Gabriel de Covarrubias, decided to take refuge in the Parish Church of San Servacio. However, the political excitement of the time had reached an uncontrollable situation and in the early hours of July 12, 1703, a frenzied mob, led by the newly elected mayors of the town, unexpectedly broke into the sacred enclosure. The lawyer Pedro Gabriel de Covarrubias was mortally wounded by a spear, staining with his blood the holy altar. Likewise Captain Fernando Hipólito de Osorno was also wounded after he was found by the mob hidden behind the musical organ of the parish choir.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Carving on the church facade.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The gathering of believers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of flowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This well dressed Virgin is Our Lady of Carmen. Carmen refers to Mount Carmel, in Israel, and this refers to the Carmelite orders that exist around the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We unobtrusively left the church by a side door and headed for the square.  The church had a nice nativity scene, and the square had one as well. For some reason there was also a Beauty and the Beast, which we failed to photograph.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The square was filled with Christmas craft stalls, these being of course the colourful Mexican embroidery, carving, and leather work. A lot of this, we read, is actually made here in Valladolid, and shipped to other parts of Mexico.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

So colourful:

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
46. Rock Pigeon. Dodie saw a woodpecker in the square, but it was too quick for the camera. Anyway, we got this Rock Pigeon. A pigeon is about the easiest bird to find and recognize, but still deserves to be in our catalog!
Heart 3 Comment 0

The central feature of the square is the statue of "La Mestiza" which represents the fusion of Mexican and Spanish peoples. The lady is wearing the "Terno", the regional standard dress.  A large number of the Mayan women around wear this daily. Some are much more elaborately embroidered.

Heart 3 Comment 0
The chicken hawk is part of the city crest, and appears on the benches in the square. This may actually refer to the "Cooper's Hawk", but we have seen nothing like it in the wild here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our final stop on this walk was the food fair, which features good, small, regional kitchens, and the one that strangely we like a lot - the Chinese one  "La Muralla China". We also passed by the one in the corner, that makes fresh pressed fruit juices.  We'll be back!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a bit of a nap, we set off again, this time mainly to see what was going on in the streets surrounding the central square. The buildings in this central area are colonial era, and would have been middle class residences at the time.  The intriguing part for us right now was to see the public out crowding the streets, and to note that these were the local people of the town, enjoying their place, and without any preponderance of tourists (like us) diluting the ambience. A lot of people had set up fruit and snack stands along the street, just by sitting on the sidewalk. They were providing peeled and segmented oranges, mandarins, jicoma, as well as rambutan and grapes. All were smiling and pleasant, making it fun to buy their products.

The public is out on the colonial streets.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It seems festive, but maybe is just normal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peeled oranges.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The vendors were in good spirits.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The typical buildings of downtown.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is looking in to one hotel: Zaci
Heart 2 Comment 0

We circled around to our food fair, checking out the first kitchen from the entrance. The man on the right holding the menus has the job of attracting customers, while the one on the left takes the orders, delivers up the plates, and brings the cash back into the heart of the operation, behind.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We ordered the "pollo asada", roast chicken, and I was quite proud to have been able to field the rapid fire questions or statements from the man on the left. "What is your name?" "Is that for take out or eat in?" "You gave me 50 pesos too much." "The forks are over here". And when I came back for some "jugo de naraja", he remembered me "Estevan".

Back over to the square, we joined a line for marquesitas, which are unique crepes usually filled with Nutella and edam cheese. But you can get other additions. Finding that strawberries were out (No Hay Fresa - on the window) we went for banana, Nutella, and edam.  Then we went to sit in one of the park's iconic "lovers' seats" where you face each other once seated, and shared our treat.

The marquesita menu
Heart 1 Comment 0
The crispy crepes are made on the left.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It will roll for a little while, before getting crispy.
Heart 1 Comment 0

An attraction in the square were a pair of traditional dancers, performing to some very fast paced music.  They are both dressed in traditional garb, which as I say, is still much seen on the streets of today.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

As evening fell, swarms of grackles arrived to take up roosts in the trees of the square. Their squawking is very loud. I shot a brief video to try to capture that, plus the scene at the marquesita line:

That was it for Christmas Eve festivities that we could find. Perhaps there will be a midnight mass at the church, but we will be fast asleep!

Today's ride: 6 km (4 miles)
Total: 433 km (269 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltGlad you had a better day!

Merry Christmas!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Laurie MarczakOkay - sounds like you’re better(ish)! That’s good, it lets me say Merry Christmas unironically. At least so long as mom stays healthy too!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Sue PriceSo glad you recovered quickly! Love those grackles!!!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Sue PriceThank goodness we seem to take turns feeling unwell. It would be even more difficult if we both went down together.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago