Benton Harbor to Indiana Dunes - Lake Michigan Circle Tour 2023 - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2023

Benton Harbor to Indiana Dunes

Day 14

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Benton Harbor to the Indiana Dunes National Park. Proper camping in the trees tonight. Our day started a little later than usual, as there was thunderstorms moving through. So we hung around the airbnb and had a nice breakfast of eggs and bacon provided by our airbnb hosts (and thanks to Loretta for cooking!). Our route today was meant to be about 57 miles but as we entered the Dunes area, ride with GPS had us overshoot the mark by about 4.5 miles. Dave, Mike, Stan and I ended up on an unpaved trail that ordinarily might have been fine, but there was major puddle action, sometimes up to our panniers. We werent carrying our full gear, because some of us have non-waterproof bags and we expected more rain. That turned out to be a blessing as we were at times moving through pretty deep water. GPS also led us down a wrong path on very soft sandy trail, but that was a shorter ordeal. Anyway, we made it to camp with about 66 miles behind us. We cleaned up, went out to dinner and finished the day well. Tomorrow, we move from the strange and unusual to the familiar, as we round the lower end of Lake Michigan and through Chicago. Part of me will be sorry to see this vacation adventure come to a close. Lake Michigan Circle Tour 2023.

Today's ride: 66 miles (106 km)
Total: 925 miles (1,489 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0