Day 23/24 - Cochrane - rest / rain days - High Maintenance - 6 Week Carretera Austral - 2024 - CycleBlaze

February 10, 2024 to February 11, 2024

Day 23/24 - Cochrane - rest / rain days

Even before we found out that there was a rodeo/Pioneer days in town. We decided to spend two days in Cochrane. The reason being Sunday was going to rain and we had a two day ride to Tortel. The forecast after Sunday looks sunny and dry so we didn’t mind spending the two days in Cochrane. Again we got lucky that the weekend they had these event scheduled.

we did get very lucky. The last say three or 4 km into town is freshly paved.

Delivery service in Cochrane.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Cochrane is one of the largest cities before you get to the end of our trip. 
So for getting any major things, this is the place to get it. It is not like major transport trucks are coming into town to deliver goods. This delivery van was typical where he was unloading everything from kitchen gadgets to flowers. He was actually staying in our hostel. You don’t see a Costco or Walmart down here.

This weekend was an annual rodeo/pioneer day in town. There are very many stalls with local foods crafts. It is like a typical farmers market. As you can see in the pictures, there was lots of lamb and beef being barbecued over for the two day event. On the Saturday, we saw some rodeo events judged, and there was horse racing around barrels.

At the fairgrounds. There had to be over 100 of these little stalls people selling crafts, food and handiwork.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now this is a baaaaaaaaa picture. Apologies to my vegetarian friends
Heart 0 Comment 0
One big hunk of beef. We found out later that this thing was on the rack for over 12 hours
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very similar to any farmers market where you can get all local food and goodies
Heart 0 Comment 0
The washboard I only wanted to see on this trip !
Heart 0 Comment 0
A better idea on the size ! One big piece of beef.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We dressed up like gauchos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Actually made sound and I scared away dogs and cats
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crafts demonstrations, I’m sure not a total dying art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This game is hard to explain, gambling involved.
Heart 0 Comment 0

https://steemit.com/travel/@pedrovaluch/rayuela-tejo-the-most-competitive-game-in-chile

The explanation  in the link, is not quite the same as what we were seeing. However, in a few different cities, we saw people playing these games in the parks. Here at the fairgrounds, there is money, being swapping back-and-forth, betting on who was going to get the object, a piece of bone with what was a top and bottom plate on it. The object was to throw  it in air to stick it in the mud. Also what side would get stuck first. It was  quite interesting, people making side bets as people played against each other. Almost like a mini Vegas craps table.

Tonight we had a nice farewell dinner with the friends we met on the weekend. Sarah from the UK, Cilia from Norway originally from New Zealand and Dave and Elaine from Southern California. It is amazing how you meet people from all over the world and bump into them every few days later on the ride. In this case we are all going in different directions tomorrow 

Sarah, David, Dave, Elaine and Cilia
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the fairgrounds Saturday
Heart 0 Comment 0

Sundays, most places are closed. They seem to value life over commercialism down here. Simple life for sure! Religious reasons or not was always better when there was a day off to just chill.

Random dog picture of the day !
Heart 0 Comment 0

The reason they all just sleep during the day is that at 10pm to 4am they start the dog party wars. Barking, growling and fighting then the roosters start at 5am so if you are a light sleeper bring earplugs. 

When bored and walking around town !
Heart 0 Comment 0

We will be saying goodbye to Cochrane tomorrow as we head further south to Tortel, camping for the next while so when we get the 6 degree nights I’ll miss the warm beds.

Back in the old days David Letterman or Johnny Carson had their top 10 list. Well here is David Cains top 10 for cycle touring. 

  1. Always ride with safety 
  2. Watch out for the safety of the other riders.
  3. Don’t complain.
  4. And if you really feel like complaining, refer to rule number 3
  5. Always respect where you are and what amenities they actually have.
  6. Always respect the culture of the people where you are visiting, even if that includes putting used toilet paper in a garbage pail.
  7. You have to be able to do your business on the side of the road. 
  8. Arrive with your bike in good shape, new chain and hopefully Schwabe tires. 
  9. Don’t forget rule number three.
  10. If possible, try to enjoy the present moment that presents itself each and every day.

Again I thank everyone for your great comments on our journal. Hopefully I’ll figure out how to reply to them individually. 

With camping and probably limited access to wifi it may be a few days before I can post updates. For those of you that wonder why we ride, here is a shot of our friends from Barcelona. They are younger and faster and had a tighter schedule than we did. 

To get the picture saying you made it, Ripio and all !
Heart 1 Comment 0

I skipped the rodeo for today and scored a great neck massage ! It was worth it. It’s now past 10pm and the dog party has started off to bed. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0