Day 2 - getting to Hornopiren - High Maintenance - 6 Week Carretera Austral - 2024 - CycleBlaze

January 20, 2024

Day 2 - getting to Hornopiren

Here is the route 

This was the ride, not huge in KM, elevation creeped up so made it a bit more challenging.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day started off with tossing and and  turning, hey a sleeping bag and tiny pillow is not the same as a queen size bed ! 

First tip to those camping is if you camp in someone’s backyard, usually a farmer see if he has roosters. Those little bleeping you know what’s don’t use alarms on their iPhone. They start their cockle doodle do at 415 am and if their buddies are around start a concerto for the other animals.  The cows mooing and dogs barking till 11pm didn’t help. To be honest it wasn’t bad , nice to hear Mother Nature. Yea a provincial park would be better, however supporting some local does make you feel better. The people here really don’t have much. 


All packed up ready to go, funny how tents and sleeping bags don’t fold out as well as when you first took them out !
Heart 2 Comment 0

Here is the stupid rooster 

Almost ended up being BBQ’d for breakfast
Heart 1 Comment 0

So again if a light sleeper and camping, catch 22 either other campers snoring next to you or cows and roosters. Take your pick. 

To those that have cycled with bugs, will know that you go fast they really don’t bug you… no pun intended. Well with a fully loaded bike, 66 year old body and  steep hills the ‘deer, horse flies’ can take a small hunk of flesh. Here they look like June bugs on steroids. Same annoying buzz around your head kill one, his cousin jumps in to replace him. Tip for that just ride above 15km uphill too ! 


Killed him ! Then his stupid family sent in a replacement
Heart 0 Comment 0

The hills and bugs were worth it breathtaking scenery. Cross between British Columbia ,Pennsylvania even the Bavarian Black Forest and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Okay those were on a motorcycle 

Sometimes the pacific on the right too
Heart 3 Comment 0
Great sweeping turns. If you go up eventually you go down.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We ended up in Hornopiren  late afternoon, grabbed a cabana just for tonight. Next 2 are tents for sure. it’s a 5 hour ferry ride Sunday to continue on the highway. Oh why do we ride, bike  are free on the ferry.

This also marks mileage point 100, just over 1,200 to go ! 

Every 100 meters the numbers are painted on the road
Heart 1 Comment 0
At 100 km .. getting there !
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 393 km (244 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0