Day 14 - Villa Mañihuales to Coyhaique - High Maintenance - 6 Week Carretera Austral - 2024 - CycleBlaze

February 1, 2024

Day 14 - Villa Mañihuales to Coyhaique

SOC day ! 
safety over riding ! 

Today we  started off early no fancy  breakfast just some great cereal and some hard-boiled eggs for snack later. A new 4am wake up call besides dogs barking their brains off, now we had cat fights. Getting all the animals involved now. 

 

Google picks not hwy 7 .. the busy roads
Heart 0 Comment 0

The route today was about a 87 km ride. There are two ways to get to Coyhaique, the one along Highway 7,  that has a 30 km ripio part( yaya now spelling it the Spanish way)  which we wanted to avoid. The only issue is the other route has no shoulders for riding and tons of traffic. Trucks and buses. 

The first 40-50km were not bad, then the trucks and buses started coming. It’s not so bad when there is just a few, but when trucks are passing buses and taking up two lanes in your a cyclist on the side of the road, it gets kind of dicey. David made a great decision to we abort  the rest of the ride and take a bus the rest of the way. It was a good call to make. The next 40km were switch backs and steep climbing so if we continued to ride it would have been a late arrival for sure. 

Nice start off in the morning!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Funny, must be a bus stop just for dogs. They are everywhere!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another day of awesome scenery
Heart 6 Comment 0
Never never never gets boring
Heart 4 Comment 0
Here is where old trucks go to die, they end up as mini restaurants on the side of the highway.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I did try hitchhiking just to see if some pickup would come by, however the bus did finally come by and we loaded up the bikes and were on our way. 

David reminded me sedans and fuel trucks don’t pick up cyclists
Heart 2 Comment 0

We arrived in good time to get the same place Alejandro had the night before, a very nice place. Another reason to make friends when cycling, get referrals for camping, lodging, places to eat, road conditions to almost anything. 

Tomorrow will be another rest day since there is rain in the forecast so hitting the grocery store since we are camping for the next 4 nights when we hit the road. 

After a relaxing dinner David found a guitar and spent a few minutes singing some songs. Great way to wind down
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 829 km (515 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0