Day 12 - to Villa Mañihuales - High Maintenance - 6 Week Carretera Austral - 2024 - CycleBlaze

January 30, 2024

Day 12 - to Villa Mañihuales

Well today was BFD and RFD. BFD is Bert Free Day. I guess you can guess the other one! 

Bert took a break since rain was in the forecast and cooler.  No complaints on that part. We had a nice breakfast as part of the room. One of those where you score an extra bun and cold cuts and that becomes lunch. Yaya I’m German and frugal.  

Getting ready this morning, last minute packing up. We all leave at different times and usually end up together somewhere
Heart 2 Comment 0
Overcast however still pretty
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lunch break with David
Heart 5 Comment 0


A short 60 km ride today, we just wanted to get in early to town to Villa Manihuales. We decided to stay an extra day there, rain forecasted Wednesday so rather do the 80km on Thursday and avoid getting wet. That is the great thing about having extra days, can take a rest/rain day. To be honest it will be good to chill for a day after riding for 12 days. 
We did pass the 500km mark today and will post a funny video tomorrow. It is ironic you want to get closer to the finish however every KM closer the trip is getting closer to being finished. It is a catch 22, closer to getting that final picture in Villa O’Higgins means the ride is over. We are passing on to Mtn Fitz Roy, so, some more riding. People have asked is this part of a “bucket list” and I said nope. Even though a bucket can be re-filled, I’ve started a “do something every day list”

 To those that cycle tour and ones that want to start, there are times when you ride and you hear the birds and see the scenery and realize whatever is on your list, whether in a bucket or not, JUST DO IT. 

In spite of the cloudy day there were still great views. Today was a good example where not following Komoot paid off, the last 16km was almost straight downhill and I had no idea it was coming up, so it felt great. Also as you race down at 55 kph you hope it never stops. 

Tomorrow will have to say farewell to who we now consider a good friend, Alejandro Perez. He has to return to the US by mid month so must get more KM per day than us. The opportunity to meet new people doing a cycle tour is fantastic. Some people can become good friends who you keep in contact with for a long time. Cycling with people from all over the world is great. I rode for 20km with a young German man that started in Vancouver and the whole Pacific  coast highway. Everyone shares their stories for why they ride.


So my tip for today is make new friends as you ride. You would be amazed at some of the stories you hear. 

500km. Almost half way however major reeepio coming up with strong winds
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Yes I was the slow poke and got in after David and AleJandro did
Heart 4 Comment 0
When’s the last time you saw frozen hunks of meat in a freezer. Looks like Chile figured out the no plastic thing
Heart 1 Comment 0
First thing first … laundry. When you pack light for weight need to wash more often
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw this In the restaurant and it sums up our trip and now a good way to live your life
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 779 km (484 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltI agree with your "just do it" philosophy. Last week when it was near 10 degrees F I saw a kingfisher on a branch, but just passed it because things were so cold. I have checked every day since and not seen it again... I wish I had just frozen my hand and taken the picture. Probably will never again get such a perfect chance.

Do it and live the moment that will then be gone.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago