A Week in Mazatalan - The Bartletts tour Europe on their E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

A Week in Mazatalan

We spent a week in Mexico and somehow we have compressed our experiences into one page in our journal. It has been a challenge to do this, but “needs must”.  I hope we have been able to convey what a rich and fun time we had with Barry’s brother Lewis and Caroline. Their hospitality made us feel so welcome and our hope is to return again to share their piece of paradise in the sun.

The one thing we learned while in Mazatlan, is that riding a bike there is not something we would like to do. We learned that the Stop signs are interpreted by most as a  suggestion, not reality. Heavy and fast traffic with no space on the roads for bikes make riding there  unappealing to us. However, that is not a problem…while in Mexico, do as many locals do. Take the open air transports like the “chicken trucks” and pulmomias. They are preferable, affordable and lots of fun

Nothing quite says Mexico like eating by the beach and enjoying a cold Mexican beer or a margarita made with fresh limes and local tequila.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lewis and Caroline took us to one of their favourite restaurants called Panchos which is situated directly on the beach.  The owner is a legend in this area and his restaurant is renowned for the staff, the fun atmosphere and last but not least, the delicious food.

With much ceremony and finesse, one of our servers prepared a delicious appetizer called Tequila Cheese with four types of cheese cooked over an open flame…yum!
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretMexican Fondue ;)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
No need for alarm. Burning off the tequila is part of the process and the aroma makes us eager to try this concoction with fresh tortillas.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretWait! The sign says “no smoking” 😂
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
The tequila cheese is almost finished.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The food at Panchos is excellent…Barry’s meal is beef with a tomato sauce and melted cheese and assorted sides.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen loved her meal….unbelievably tender “cut with your fork” beef with rice, guacamole, refried beans and an enchilada - delicious.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Panchos restaurant has an enchanting location. It was delightful to enjoy a meal outside in balmy tropical climes enjoying the sunset. We watched the staff preparing this heart shaped area for a romantic dinner for two. Sweeping the sand, placing bags of sand with candles to designate the space and a table with candles and a white table cloth. Charming.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We had a really fun evening with Lew and Caroline at Panchos….good memories were made here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A local man selling food at the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A dramatic finish to our meal. Barry and Lewis are having a special coffee (which they will hopefully share!). This photo captures the beautiful colourful sparks as a result of adding sugar at the end.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A thing of beauty…..
Heart 2 Comment 0
I think Barry likes it! And yes, he did share. 🥳
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were drawn to this lovely mosaic art on this building in the Centro area. There are beautiful heritage buildings in this area, each painted in vibrant colours.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Love the bougainvillea in full bloom.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBougainvillea is always bright and beautiful!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

We love visiting markets when we travel. This market in Mazatlan is huge and is housed in a large, cool building

The Guanobana is also known as Soursop, and it grows on a broad leaf flowering tree. Its aroma is like pineapple and it tastes like strawberries and apple with a sour citrus flavour with a creamy texture like banana. It is soft to the touch and full of juice which is used to make fruit drinks, smoothies and candies. Locally it is thought to be an alternative treatment for cancer.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMouthwatering! Had it in Trinidad on a missions trip about 10 years back.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Mexico is the top pork producer in Latin America.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chicken feet, also known as Patitas, are used in stews and soups. The feet can be seasoned with mole sauce. Many people here enjoy chicken feet as a snack and chew the soft outer skin, leaving the bone structure uneaten. They also are often steamed and are part of a main dish with rice, vegetables and chicken breasts or thighs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A highlight of our visit to Mazatlan has been enjoying the unbelievably delicious and meaty fresh shrimp. Our first evening in Mexico, Lew (a brilliant cook) prepared coconut prawns and Mahi Mahi. Fabulous.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Mazatlan is famous for its shrimp because it has the largest shrimp fishing fleet on the west coast of Mexico. The place to buy shrimp here is at the Centrolo Maket or from The Shrimp Ladies who buy their shrimp directly from the fishing boats and they are located 5 short blocks from the Malecón.

Fresh Mackerel is used as a key ingredient in Ceviche de Sierra.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner our first night at Lew and Caroline's condo….coconut shrimp and Mahi Mahi. Delicious. As you can appreciate, they have sourced their decor locally and it is quite lovely.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Centro area of town, there are incredible shops featuring local artisans. We loved this shop with the fountain created by a local artist and the funky wall characters created with a coconut shell. With Caroline’s help, Mary Ellen treated herself to a pair of silver earrings from this shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There isn’t a dog in the world that Barry can resist interacting with. This street dog responded to Barry making a clicking sound and it ran over lying on his back on B’s feet ready for affection. (It’s ok Mochi, he will return…Mochi is a beloved golden retriever who lives with a good friend on Saltspring Island.)
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love these unique creations on coconut shells which have a lot of character.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beautiful beach in front of their condo was wonderful for walking and searching for shells. We particularly enjoyed watching the pelicans soar overhead and the sandpipers chasing the waves in search of food.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pelicans are impressive birds, soaring overhead or “surfing” the waves. It was interesting to watch them fly by and dip a wing in the surf.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Barry relaxing on their deck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We took a chicken truck to Surf’s Up cafe for lunch and to enjoy some live music. We had a great afternoon with Lew and Caroline and their friends Mabel and Jim from Calgary.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mabel and Jim from Calgary…what a small world it is. Mabel trained as a nurse at Toronto Western where my sister Judith and a friend Margaret also trained….they remember her fondly. She also attended the University of Western Ontario where Mary Ellen studied English. As we pursued different areas of study, we didn’t connect there…but we enjoyed getting to know both Mabel and Jim in Mexico.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry had “one of his best chicken dinners ever” and that’s saying something, as he loves chicken.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen’s coconut shrimp was delicious as well.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYum - that coconut shrimp looks delicious!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
We came out from dinner and found that a broken water main had made the road look like a pond due to a lack of drainage on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enjoyed the stroll at dusk admiring the lovely architecture and local charm.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A very pretty street with cobbles, well maintained older buildings and lighting that made it feel festive.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
We went to the rooftop of this very old hotel to enjoy the view.
Heart 2 Comment 0
All too soon, our departure date has arrived. We are on our way to Vancouver. We’ll stay one night in Vancouver before flying to Amsterdam to begin the cycling portion of our adventure in Europe. The red woven bag is a souvenir of Mazatlan.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0