Day 7 - Onwards to Cobar - Unfinished Business - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2023

Day 7 - Onwards to Cobar

The weather turned nasty last night - cold, wet and windy. I was soon underway and got to Nymagee afer the last 21 km of dirt. 

The end of 92 km of dirt - lovely ride
Heart 2 Comment 0
Handyman's delight in Nymagee
Heart 3 Comment 0

It was from here that I phoned Macca to spruik indigo on his radio show "Australia all over". Iwas cut off just before getting on air but perhaps this was a good omen. Would I have seen a pair of MALLEE FOWL 5 km further had I not spent a futile 30 min? Even if you don’t give a flying zucchini about birds, look them up, tell your kids for they are an ornithological orgasm! They made the emus that I saw a little later seem a bit mundane. I don't have a photo but their demise lies partly in this critters paws.

Heart 2 Comment 5
Bill ShaneyfeltRed foxes are invasive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_foxes_in_Australia
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian WallisTo Bill ShaneyfeltDear Bill
Yes foxes along with cats, rabbits, cane toads etc are invasive and responsible for the loss of Australia's wildlife. I did my PhD on one such group - the rat kangaroos.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltInteresting to connect with another Zoologist! My formal training ended with a BS in Zoology at Arizona State U. in 1969. At that time, I worked with an Ecologist, Dr. Eric R. Pianka helping him do field collection and research in the southwest US deserts. He later did extensive research on Australian Varanids, and I always wished I could have accompanied him down under. Last saw him when he was the keynote speaker at the Biology of Lizards Conference in New Mexico in 2018.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10215787506496739&set=a.10215770716356996
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian WallisTo Bill ShaneyfeltDear Bill
I worked on desert tortoises in the Mojave in the early 1990s out of Ken Nagy’s lab at UCLA. I met Eric Pianka then. Also, I'm friends with Brian Green, Australia's varanid man.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Ian WallisThat's really interesting! I guess you don't need me posting nature info. on your journals with such a high level of knowledge! Good to know there are others out riding who have some nature expertise.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

I battled headwinds for 35 km to the Kidman Way, where I turned north and picked up some wind. What a turn!

The Kidman Way to Cobar
Heart 2 Comment 0

I did a quick 20 km before a much-needed break with tea, coffee, rancid cheese on biscuits, scroggin, gingernuts and diary writing. Back on the bike I felt very good and quickly knocked over the 50 km to Cobar, scaring the living daylight out of 200 goats as I went. I don't think that they see enough cyclists.

Cobar - a gold-mining town. I'm all the richer for visiting!
Heart 2 Comment 0

The first person I spoke with - a fellow towing a caravan, told me that it was hard work today in the wind. I bet it was; you must be exhausted.

Great name for a hotel. Pity it's not in Cobar
Heart 1 Comment 2
Lyla RoganLove to know where it is !!!!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Ian WallisTo Lyla RoganLyla - Kensington, UK. There's no reason that it can't be copied and plonked in Cobar
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Today's ride: 123 km (76 miles)
Total: 714 km (443 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Ian RobinsonHey Ian

Chris and I are in awe of your adventure and waiting for a bee sighting and related comment. Enjoy the coffee in the morning!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Robin BrownSnow has settled on Mt Gingera so it is a bit colder back home and Ben and I had a battle with unforcasted wind on the road today. May any wind from now be pushing your panniers.
Cheers
Robin
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian WallisThanks Robin it did.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian WallisTo Ian RobinsonThanks Ian and Chris. Saw a few apiaries somewhere - more feral things
Reply to this comment
1 year ago