Day 18 - in the zone towards Winton - Unfinished Business - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2023

Day 18 - in the zone towards Winton

Last night was surprisingly cold for here. Loved it, got in my bag and had a great night's sleep. It was the precursor for a brilliant day.

I chatted to indigenous man, Peter O over breakfast. He's a laugh; friends call him "Piss Off", he says. I phoned the ABC and did a radio interview on the national broadcaster; it might be why so many waved and hooted today. I went round the corner for a coffee and ended up doing a telephone interview with a journalist, Trish B from the local newspaper. She was in Yeppoon!

Posing in the main street of Longreach - Eagle St. Most streets in town are named after birds
Heart 2 Comment 0

I was on my way by 11.30am, in the best of spirits but hoping for a tailwind to help knock over a big part of the 175 km to Winton. It happened: as I left town a coolish wind left town behind me. I soon stopped at the Thomson River. Good friend, Thommo, would love me to put a "P" in it. I refrained and instead admired the water birds.

The Thomson River just west of Longreach
Heart 2 Comment 0

A few km further, the Darr River was also looking good.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Thirty km out, wooded country gave way to Mitchell grass plains. It was a terrific day for wildlife and I pitied those bulleting along cursing the boring landscape. A euro waited the day out in cover of grass. A male red kangaroo mimicked yesterday's horses. I increased my speed to 27 kmh but he bounded along faster and effortlessly. If there were trees there were woodswallows, while black kites were ever present. I saw a square-tailed kite too, exciting for me. 

There were flocks of budgerigars and of silhouetted parrots late in the day. Of course, emus too and a FOUR bustard day.

Heart 3 Comment 0
How do you photograph flying bustards with a phone? So blow this up and play "spot the pair of flying bustards". Major Mitchell would have collected them
Heart 3 Comment 0

I had my big break, just half an hour, after doing 70 km in 3 hours. I was in the zone. Remarkably, some people pulled up with a caravan named "Zone". They got out of their car and went into the van. They too were in the zone. I expected coffee and cake and vibrant chat but it didn't come. It was not a Venn diagram with a common zone. Our circles would never entwine. Perhaps it was my food that put them off.

Look hard and you'll find them. They are quite tasty.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Gerard HoganWhat are they Wal?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian WallisGerard - dried bananas chopped strategically to look like little bush turds. Wal
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

I broke my rule of stopping on exactly the '000 mark, as I passed 2000 km for the trip after 111 km today. It was late in the day so I tattooed the air with my fist and kept pedalling. Red tie photos will have to wait until tomorrow.

I have a fabulous camp-site near a pile of old railway sleepers near the tracks. There are no trains on this line now. And old eucalypt sleepers burn so well and so hot. That's what I want on another cool night.

Looking east from my camp-site
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 126 km (78 miles)
Total: 2,014 km (1,251 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Graham SmithA few weeks early for the world famous Winton film festival but you might meet some of the movers & shakers behind this fabulous event.
It’ll be held in June this year.

https://www.visionsplendidfilmfest.com/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Graham SmithAnd Jane & I currently sitting at Heathrow 3 Gate 40 awaiting our flight to Canberra via Singapore. Normally I’d whinge about such a ‘long’ flight, but compared to how you are travelling to Singapore, our 13 hour sit will be a doddle.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian WallisTo Graham SmithGraham
I had time to kill once at Heathrow so got on the airport bus and did a tour so I was prepared for when I was in a rush. The bus stopped between terminals because the Concorde was about to take off. It needed a long runway. So I sat looking up at the giant bird-I could even see the passengers- as a bloke on either side of the road manually wound the fence back to create a gap for the Concorde to pass through. I guess that so much money went into the Concorde that nothing was left for a couple of simple motors to open and close the fence. Safe travels. Ian
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ian WallisTo Graham SmithAny roles for cyclists? I am meeting a journalist in town
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jackie LaycockCongratulations on passing your 2000 km, Ian, and thank you for telling the world about indigo and our partners!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago