To Hatteras Island - Winging it up the Atlantic Coast - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2024

To Hatteras Island

There's light rain this morning and everything is damp, but it feels warm enough for a walk on the beach. There's plenty of time; we just have to get 10 miles down the road to the next ferry by mid-day.

Walking in the waves feels like spa day to my feet. They buzz with the combination of balance challenge and cold therapy. While wading along the shore I meditate on the cascading waves that push and pull at my legs. What a treat it is to start the day this way.

The beach is just on the other side of the dunes by our campsite.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonHat a great walk on the beach!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

We do need to get going though. At 10:00 the road is dry, and both the wind and the traffic are light as we start pedaling to the east end of Ocracoke Island. 

A few miles in a cyclist headed my way asks "Are you Janice?" It's Don Kass, the WarmShowers host in Wilmington that we hadn't met yet since he was away on tour. Here he is riding south with his brothers and his son on a day ride from their campsite on Hatteras Island where we're headed. We make vague plans to meet up later and get acquainted. 

As good as it gets
Heart 4 Comment 0
There's Don in the center. If you're touring in Wilmington NC look him up on WarmShowers.
Heart 4 Comment 0

A little further on we come to the Pony Pen for the Ocracoke Wild Horses. They are thought to be descendants of horses that were thrown off a shipwreck in the late 16th century and found their way to the shore. The herd numbered in the hundreds at one time; now there are less than 20 and they are protected by the National Park Service. 

A few of the Ocracoke wild ponies
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our weirdo barcalounger bikes always attract attention. We met Rick and Troy from "all over" by the pony pen.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Thanks to Rick for the pic
Heart 4 Comment 0

Long, narrow Ocracoke is as little as 800 feet wide in spots, just enough for the one road along the island past the village.  During hurricane season storms wash over the road and cut underneath. On the way to the Hatteras Island ferry we pass a road crew working to stabilize the ground with walls of huge sandbags.

We have the road mostly to ourselves today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Single-lane traffic around the sandbagging operation
Heart 2 Comment 0
We can see places where the water has washed over the sandbags
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our boat for the 90 minute trip to Hatteras Island is quite a bit smaller than yesterday's ferry
Heart 4 Comment 0
Coming in to port on Hatteras Island
Heart 4 Comment 0

On Hatteras we fall into the same rhythm as yesterday - a big lunch of baked flounder at Frisco Bay Coastal Grill, then pick up some snacks for the beach later on. This island is not as deserted as Ocracoke. A few colorful beach houses line the roads in the village. Then the road narrows so that we can see a sliver of ocean on both sides. 

In the village of Hatteras
Heart 5 Comment 1
Cheryl KellerBaked flounder sounds delicious 😋
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Heart 7 Comment 0
Water to the left...
Heart 5 Comment 0
...and to the right
Heart 5 Comment 0

Plenty of spaces are open in the National Park Service's Frisco campground. I thought the cold showers were just at Ocracoke but it's the same deal here. It's better than no shower.

Once I've rinsed the dead bugs from my hair we set off for the beach again. This time we have a longer trip to get there, starting with a long narrow boardwalk over a salt marsh. It's easy to ride at first where there's a slight downhill slope, but once I have to pedal there's not much wobble room.

Barry dismounts, not taking chances on the narrow, wavy boardwalk. Smart.
Heart 5 Comment 0
At the end of the boardwalk we scale the dunes to the beach
Heart 3 Comment 0

We hoped to hang out with Don and his brothers here but it turns out they are in a different Frisco campground, a private one with hot showers on the other side of the island by Pamlico Sound. Darn. They are missing out on one of the best evenings we've had on the beach. It's deserted and not too windy, just enough to keep the bugs away. The waves are wild and loud and unceasing. I've never spent this much time walking the beach. 

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 1
Cheryl KellerThe beach looks beautiful
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

We wobble back on the boardwalk to camp, then fall asleep to the sound of the waves.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 1,517 miles (2,441 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rachael AndersonWhat a great day!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Bob DistelbergBack when we were there earlier this year, they were actually plowing the sand off the road. Looks like you managed to hit some nice weather to be there.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Janice BranhamTo Bob DistelbergWe have been lucky with the weather. I'm appreciating that more now that the temperature has dropped with big system coming in.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago