Nerja to La Mamola - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

November 6, 2021

Nerja to La Mamola

Nothing particularly special about today's ride except that there was some great scenery, the weather was almost perfect for riding (a tailwind would have been nice), and the road was good.  In fact, some parts of the road were great!  Specifically, the detour on the old road around the Tunel de Cerro Gordo was fabulous!  The best part the day's ride, I think. 

Sunrise from Balcon de Europa, Nerja.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nerja's famous aqueduct. Not particularly ancient.
Heart 4 Comment 0
View from the road.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Looking back at the Costa del Sol (which apparently ends at Nerja).
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the first part of the ride, from Nerja to Almuñécar, I think we saw more cyclists than cars. This fellow cyclist was also enjoying the road around the Tunel de Cerro Gordo, albeit in the opposite direction to us.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonIsn’t it great having so few cars!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonIt is!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We rode through Almuñécar in search of lunch. Our first idea was to get some sandwiches from a grocery store or bakery and eat them on the beach, but the grocery we tried was rather like Costco lite. We didn't see another befor we came to a restaurant offering a menu del dia that looked reasonable so we ate there.  Then we had to ride (or push) up some steeper grades to back to our route. 

We missed a turn in Puerto Motril so got to discover that the town has both a ferry terminal (ferries to Morocco) and a port.  We somehow got off course in Castell de Ferro too, but learned nothing new.

Salobreña
Heart 6 Comment 0
Now we know where the "product of Spain" cucumbers and peppers in BC grocery stores came from.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The contrast between Calahonda the charming town and the plastic greenhouses beyond typifies this section of coast.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The last of the four or five tunnels we rode through. The longest was 270m, all were lit, and none was particularly scary. We have lights we turn on for tunnels, although we had our rear flashers on most of the day today.
Heart 3 Comment 0

In La Mamola, we are staying at what we suspect is the only hostal in town, attached to the only restaurant in town. Our cheapest room so far at €40 and our most expensive meal. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 273 km (170 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0