Malaga to Nerja - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

November 4, 2021

Malaga to Nerja

Finally on the road!

We finally got out of Malaga!  We followed the Anderson's route to Nerja and are now ensconced in Hotel Mena Plaza.  A comfortable place at a decent price, in the centre of town. 

Looking back at Malaga
Heart 7 Comment 0
The sign caught my eye. Paseo de los canadienses. I thought it might be referring to the overpass but it turned out it was the name of the path more or less parallel to the highway.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonI was curious why it is called the Canadian Walk and found this: https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/spain-espagne/media/bethune_paseo.aspx?lang=eng
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Suzanne GibsonI had no idea! Thanks for looking it up.

We were leapfrogging what appeared to be a high school class on mountain bikes and they stopped at the beach seen in the photo below. Perhaps that's where the plaque was; there was a little green space there and a car park.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Look at that blue!
Heart 8 Comment 0
Looking east-northeast.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Faro at Torre del Mar. I like lighthouses!
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonHey! If you’re following our route, why didn’t we see this? We’ll have to go back.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetWe varied here just a bit. We show routes as coloured lines on our Garmins with turn-by-turn directions turned off. I remember we were off course here and rejoined just after.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
One of the many parakeets took a snack break.
Heart 7 Comment 4
Scott AndersonWhat a great shot!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltNice picture of that invader! Monk parakeet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk_parakeet
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodEcho Scott’s comment … using your OMD E-M5? If so, what lens? I’ve got the same camera and always struggle with which lenses to bring on tour. Pictures like this make dragging along a suite of lenses worthwhile though (don’t crush me by saying it’s just the stock pancake lens 🙄)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Lyle McLeodHi Lyle
I bring my E-M1ii because it’s what I have. A smaller but still weatherproof body would be better. For lenses, I bring my 14-150ii (used for this shot which is very cropped), plus 17mm f1.8 for low light. This time I also have my 9-18 but haven’t used it yet.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
One of the little beaches at Nerja
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fisherman statue, Nerja
Heart 1 Comment 0

Returning to our hotel after an early (by Spanish standards) and chilly dinner, we thought we'd go up to the rooftop hot tub. We had taken a look at the pool and hot tub earlier and it seemed an ideal way to warm up and enjoy the clear sky and view. We duly got some pool towels from reception, put on our swimsuits and sweaters, and headed up. Imagine the surprise of these Canadians to discover it wasn't heated. It looked just like a hot tub but wasn't even warm!  We laughed all the way back to our room. 

Heart 2 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesAre you finding that coastal N-340 with vexing traffic, or fine?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI writing this from La Mamola, after quite a few more km on the road. Traffic hasn't been a problem. It's light, the speed limit is low, there are decent shoulders (except, for example, when there are two lanes uphill), and the drivers are courteous. Not always super pleasant but it never felt unsafe.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 194 km (120 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Steve Miller/GrampiesIf you did not already have a perfectly good title for this blog you could have called it "Escape from Malaga".
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonLooks like a gorgeous stretch of coast. How was the traffic?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Suzanne GibsonNot bad at all. The first part was often on a separate path and where that was no longer an option, it was either low speed limit (30 or 40 km/h) or there was a decent shoulder.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodWe can relate to the ‘hot tub’ incident. Back when we were living in Aberdeen, we did as a lot of Scot’s do and decamped to Spain in late October for a last hit of sun and warm(ish) weather. The villa we rented near Alicante had a nice pool , which the kids promptly jumped into, and then straight out. Wet suits were procured for the remainder of our stay (used them for swims and snorkelling in the sea too). Classic Canadian assumption that all pools are heated 😶‍🌫️
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Lyle McLeodOh good, it’s not just us!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago