Jimena de la Frontera to Gaucin - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

November 29, 2021

Jimena de la Frontera to Gaucin

Short but mostly uphill

Another super-short day, you say?  Well, it was short in terms of km ridden but we climbed 774 m in those 24 km, with over 600 m gained in only 12 km.

We started our day with breakfast at Bar Restaurante Pastor 2.  The little place was run by a very sweet older couple who seemed well-loved by their regular customers and breakfast was basic but very good.  We’d had dinner last night at another restaurant on the same plaza (La Tasca, also good) and had wondered whether the Plaza de la Constituciòn offered a good view in daylight.  It did, all the way to the Rock of Gibraltar.

The view through our skylight in the morning.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The hotel atrium. We are on the top floor but our bikes are down there.
Heart 5 Comment 0
What’s that bump on the horizon? I’ll take a photo with PeakFinder.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Casa Henrietta. Recommended.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A better view of the Rock of Gibraltar from the hotel terrace (taken with a better camera).
Heart 4 Comment 0

This morning was much warmer than the mornings for the last couple of weeks, probably because we are now in a warmer place.  But we were heading back into the mountains and probably won’t have such warmth again until we get back to the coast.

Last view of Jimena. A nice town to visit.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
A closer view of (I think) one of the sphere-on-a-stick trees. This one didn’t look as healthy as those in the forest yesterday but they looked like pines.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMuch better detail in this photo! Definitely pines, and looking at images, seems to match well with stone pine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_pine
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ready for a break on the long climb.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the top. Just a 1 km descent to go.
Heart 4 Comment 5
Scott AndersonI thought we were at this spot also, but we came in on A-377 riding up from Gibraltar. I’m envious - our viewpoint was nearly a hundred meters below yours: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/iberia2013/gaucin/#3219_1769088_OzZgzd_image.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonYou couldn’t actually see anything from this point. The views were from the side of the road a bit further on.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Patrick O'HaraBTW. I love your bike!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Patrick O'HaraSo do I! Of course, committing to (and then paying for) a full custom bike kinda ensures that. When you’re my size, custom is unfortunately often the only way to get what you want.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonGreat job making to the top! You guys are tough.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
View from the road. This is my favourite photo today.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Gaucin
Heart 4 Comment 0

We have an apartment in Gaucin, with washer, and only 49€.  Expectations weren’t high but the place, once we found it, is charming. After a quick cycle to launder our cycling kit and hang it up, we had lunch at a bar just a few metres from the apartment.  (On previous trips and earlier on this one, we’ve hand-washed our cycling kit, rolled it in a towel to get as much moisture out as possible, and hung it to dry overnight. With these colder temperatures, that wasn’t working so well, but washer with a good spin cycle does the job.  Happily the colder weather also means we can get more than one day out of our kit.)

Image not found :(
A distorted panorama of our little apartment.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonNice! A double selfie, with bicycle.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Recommended lunch spot, maybe 50 m from our apartment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I had this. It was delicious.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Al’s salmon was also excellent. With vegetables on the plate! Sadly a rare thing in Spanish restaurants, it seems.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Then I had this for dessert. Torta de la abuela, I think it was called. Best dessert of the trip (and I’ve tested quite a few)!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gaucin
Heart 1 Comment 0
Roof tiles, Gaucin
Heart 4 Comment 0
I used to know a very nice dog named Zorro
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking east. There are lots of wind turbines on the lower ridge
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Gaucin
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gaucin
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 1,231 km (764 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0