Gaucin to Ronda - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

November 30, 2021

Gaucin to Ronda

Not quite up to our (admittedly high) expectations

I’ll add more photos when I have more patience!  Both my phone connection and the hotel wifi are slow. 

Today’s ride was another I’d been looking forward to, based on Scott Anderson’s description from 2013.  It was good, but not as good as the past few days’ riding we’ve enjoyed.  As for Ronda, the jury’s out for now.  We’d seen fantastic photos but we aren’t sure yet if the town lives up to its reputation. 

Let’s back up to last night. After our late, decadent lunch, we wandered around Gaucin’s quiet streets and up to the castle, unfortunately closed on Mondays. We picked up some groceries for breakfast and retired to our comfortable, cozy apartment.

Sunset from our apartment balcony. It was too cold to sit out there, but the wall was all glass (openable if the temps were higher).
Heart 4 Comment 0

When the Spanish dinner hour arrived, neither of us felt particularly hungry so we decided not to go out.  Instead, since we really had more muesli, yogurt, milk, and juice than we needed for breakfast, we had some of that for an evening snack to prevent waking up hungry in the middle of the night (it happens).

We finished that off this morning, packed up, and departed.  It felt strangely warm…until we got into the shade.  But the climbs soon warmed us up. As Scott had said, it was up and down all the way to Ronda.

On the road to Ronda
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stone pine? Aka green sphere on a stick.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonOh, of course. The famous Iberian lollipop pine.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Margie AndersonHaha! Love sphere on a stick!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Atajate?
Heart 4 Comment 0
First view of Ronda. Why we had thought it was on a hill, I don’t know. Not particularly impressive from this angle…
Heart 1 Comment 0
Exploring Ronda
Heart 0 Comment 0
Puente Viejo, the old bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0
The gorge is scary deep! We will find out more about that structure down there tomorrow.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view of the Puente Viejo, aka Puente Árabe
Heart 4 Comment 0
And of course, the star of Ronda, the Puente Nuevo. It’s much higher than the Puente Viejo.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
I can’t help but wonder about that truncated arch on the right. Was there a previous bridge here? A miscalculation during construction? There’s an interpretation centre devoted to the New Bridge so we might have to go.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Gotta put your lock somewhere!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cliff isn’t quite so steep over there.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Busker, Ronda
Heart 1 Comment 0
“Nice promenades, good wine, excellent food, and nothing to do…” was what Hemingway said of Ronda, yet they named a street after him!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking across the gorge towards the old city.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Other tourists listening to another busker and enjoying the views in their own ways.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Outside the Plaza de Toros
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the other side of the Plaza de Toros
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ronda
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ronda
Heart 2 Comment 0
A very strange structure that turns out to be a shrine built in 1734 and called “Templete Virgen de los Dolores.”
Heart 2 Comment 0
The ceiling of the shrine isn’t so odd…
Heart 1 Comment 0
…but the columns are really weird!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Vancouver goes to great effort to preserve view corridors but Ronda seems to have done it easily. Of course, building your city on a ridge helps.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the street leading to Puente Nuevo. The quotes are all from the 1800s so Hemingway isn’t included.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across from our hotel is the Casa del Rey Moro. It’s in dire need of some tlc. This pair of doors is relatively intact.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We had dinner at a restaurant near the Iglesia de Santa Maria la Mayor
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,267 km (787 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0