Hibernating in Grazalema - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

November 25, 2021

Hibernating in Grazalema

We looked at the weather forecast for today and tomorrow before getting out of bed. It definitely looked far better for tomorrow so we decided to hang out in Grazalema today and do our planned loop ride tomorrow.

We aren’t alone. On both of our ventures outside today (first for breakfast groceries and then for coffee, a short wander, and lunch groceries), we saw people who were clearly also visitors to the town, bundled up and wandering too. I think we all decided to stay close to our accommodation due to the cold and the threat of rain. 

The weather looks decent in this direction. Just done look the other way!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Such a beautiful setting.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Definitely nice
Heart 5 Comment 0
Lunch in the apartment. We didn’t drink all the beer!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Update:  it didn’t rain this after as forecast and the wind died away so we headed out around 5 to stretch our legs by hiking up to a nearby viewpoint. The first part of the trail after we’d zizzagged our way up to and across the highway was strewn with canine land mines. Odd, since most people seem to clean up after their dogs. 

Grazalema
Heart 1 Comment 0
The weather looks better over there…
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grazalema. The nasty clouds are just visible behind that tree.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Speaking of the tree, it has these berries on it.
Heart 0 Comment 3
Jacquie GaudetTo Patrick O'HaraThanks, Patrick. I wondered if that were it but had no idea juniper berries would be so big.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
These berries.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like Spanish juniper or a close relative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_thurifera
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bill ShaneyfeltThat seems right. I was just surprised that the berries were so big! They were more than twice the size I’ve ever seen before.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
It’s coming this way, through Puerta del Boyar.
Heart 3 Comment 0
When we were riding here yesterday, we saw these giant birds floating on the drafts. I looked them up after seeing this info board. Griffon vultures, buitre Leonardo in Spanish.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Back in town, we decided to walk up to the west end but just as we got near, the rain started.  Speed walk back to our sorta-cozy apartment. We’ve had the pellet stove on all day and now it’s warm. 

Tomorrow we plan to ride the loop to Zahara de la Sierra and over the Puerto de las Palomas and see how it goes. Then we’ll decide if we continue with our planned itinerary or make adjustments. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonSorry you are encountering such cold, wet weather. We had the same issue so we headed to Malaga and went from there to the only desert in Europe.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonIt hasn’t actually rained yet today but even if it had, I doubt it would be nearly as wet as Vancouver, currently under yet another rainfall warning.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago