Day 7: Zurich - Aarau: Cycling with a pro - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2006

Day 7: Zurich - Aarau: Cycling with a pro

We're an interesting trio this morning. Two oldies on mountain bikes with paniers and one super athlete on a racing bike with a giant rucksack on his back. When Stuart meets up with his friend this evening, he'll be able to deposit his rucksack and will be doing day trips after that. I feel it's fair that he have some disadvantage and still it's going to be very slow riding for him today. Waiting for us will probably be harder than carrying his heavy rucksack.

Stuart and his Aunt Suzy. I love his jersey
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBoy, Stuart is lean and lanky!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

It's a long ride through the periphery of Zurich, but we have bike paths and make good progress. Baden is the first pretty town on our route. We find a shady spot for our picnic, today we're always looking for shade, again it's hot. I don't know how Stuart can manage with his heavy rucksack and thin tires on the unpaved parts, but he's in top shape and no complainer.

Stuart with his rucksack
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycling with Stuart
Heart 1 Comment 0

Janos and I ride as far as Aarau, a picturesque little town which we don't have the energy to look at tonight. We have a last drink with Stuart before he sets out for another 50 km - gulp - to where he will meet his cycling buddy.

Tonight we choose a private room from the list of accomodations the tourist office gives us. Our room is in the apartment of an elderly widow a little way out of town. We have one bed, one matress on the floor and in the morning a generous breakfast and an interesting conversation with our hostess, all for approximately 35 Euros.

The building where we take a private room on the outskirts of Aarau
Heart 1 Comment 0

Dark clouds are gathering when we walk back into town to find something to eat. On the way home the sky is black and soon the rain pelts down, accompanied by thunder and lightning. I wonder where Stuart is now and hope he is out of reach of the storm.

p.s. It wasn't until we got back home in August that I heard from Stuart. I quote: "It was pretty smooth heading from Aarau to Wilisau, or at least as far as Sursee. A lot of dirt tracks, but no problems at all. Started to rain in Sursee and 1/2 way to Willisau Scott came the other way looking for me in a car. Just as I stopped and he turned around to get me a big crack of lighting and thunder occured. The next day we drove along the route and 100m behind where I had stopped an apple tree had been split by the bolt...scary!

Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow.....that was too close!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 405 km (252 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0