Day 6: Zurich: Stuart arrives - From Munich to the Mediterranean and More - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2006

Day 6: Zurich: Stuart arrives

My nephew Stuart has planned to spend two weeks in Switzerland cycling with a friend. We had already set the dates for our trip and found we would all be in Zurich at the same time, entirely by coincidence. Stuart is a professional tri-athlete and marathon man and will be doing some serious training while he is here, but he said he would like to accompany us for a bit of our journey. I'm really excited that we're going to be cycling together. So tonight I meet him at the airport.

Today we rest. We have lunch on the promenade of the Lake of Zurich and watch the world go by. The sun is shining and the outdoor restaurants and cafés are full. Everyone seems to be on vacation.

In the evening I meet Stuart at the aiport and he has his bike assembled in no time. His light racing bike looks like a Porsche compared to our mountain bikes, or our mountain bikes look like trucks compared to his racing bike, depending on your perspective. It's a quick trip by train back into the city and a short ride by bike to our hotel.

Tonight is the Wold Cup game between Italy and Germany. None of us manages to stay awake for the outcome of the game, Stuart is tired from a long flight and we're just plain tired. But when the game is over no one is able to sleep. Past the wee hours of the morning the jubilant Italians and Italy fans drive up and down the street in front of our hotel blowing their car horns and cheering. In spite of the heat we close the window and are thankful that we didn't forget our earplugs.

Lake of Zurich
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0