Wildcamp halfway to Injune - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2024

Wildcamp halfway to Injune

A late start, just after eleven o'clock,  because we planned to stop at a rest area halfway to Injune.  

There has been a lot more traffic since we joined the Carnarvon Highway at Surat.  We have rejoined the route favored by the Grey Nomads so there were a lot of caravans along with the road trains.  Despite their enormous size, the road trains scare me less than some of the Grey Nomads and their oversized caravans.

We are well out of the flat lands here and although we have not yet encountered any big hills we have been climbing slowly but steadily in a series of gentle ups and downs.

Leigh was feeling much better and the absence of a headwind had me cycling hard to keep up with her at times.  The weight of the extra food must have contributed :-).  Extra weight is always more apparent on the hills  but it did mean I caught up to her quickly on the downhills. 

Our home for the night.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It seems that we have thd rest area to ourselves tonight.   The toilets are spotlessly clean although sans toilet paper and there is water available,  not potable but good enough that we could have a good wash of everything apart from our hair.

Sunset is at around five thirty in the evening and it is pitch dark by six.
Heart 3 Comment 0

A simple supper of tuna sandwiches washed down with the remains of last night's Pinot Grigio.  Using a plastic packet in lieu of a plate meant the only washing up necessary was a single knife and two glasses.  Since doing the dishes is Leigh's responsibility,  this pleased her no end.

About forty five kilometers to Injune tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 2,600 km (1,615 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0