Villefranche de Lauragais to Mirepoix - A zig-zag tour across France - CycleBlaze

October 28, 2010

Villefranche de Lauragais to Mirepoix

Villefranche-de-Lauragais to Mirepoix
Heart 0 Comment 0

WEATHER: SUNNY AND WARM

We left Villefranche de Lauragais after breakfast, crossed over the Canal du Midi and cycled up to Gardouch, where we stopped at the boulangerie and bought some apple pastries for old time's sake. (The sports bar where we had lunch last year was closed until noon.) From Gardouch we went uphill a fair ways and then looked for the elusive left turn onto a tiny road leading towards Belpech. We found the road and enjoyed the steep 7 km ride downhill to Molandier and then gently rolling on to Belpech where we met a whole peleton of cyclists who stopped at the same restaurant for lunch. We parked our bikes right on a small bridge opposite the restaurant so that we could see them while we ate.

After lunch we crossed the little bridge and climbed very gently for about 8 km to a junction, and then it got much steeper and there was quite a bit of climbing. Eva had to change into shorts and a short-sleeved jersey to stay cool enough in the warm sunshine. Finally after all the climbing there was a downhill stretch, and the last 3 km into Mirepoix was on the level. Not too busy, and we found our nice hotel with no problem. We were looking forward to spending two nights in Mirepoix after three straight days of cycling.

Quiet farming country between Gardouch and Mirepoix.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many quiet roads--this one on the way to Mirepoix from Belpech.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After checking into our comfortable room at Hotel les Remparts, we left our bikes against the wall in the lobby, and set off to explore the historic wooden arcaded area in the centre of town. Very impressive considering that the timbers dated from the 15th century--one of the few remaining wooden arcades in France.

Central square with timbered arcades in Mirepoix.
Heart 0 Comment 0

That night we had dinner at the hotel--beautifully presented and served, the most interesting menu of our trip so far. After an amuse-bouche, the entree was vegetable tartine, the plat rabbit with vegetables, and dessert was pineapple soup for Al and and poached pear on a shortbread cookie for Eva. A small dish of raspberry sorbet finished off the meal and we enjoyed a half litre of Corbieres wine. Dinner was so good that we promptly reserved a table for the next night as well.

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 594 km (369 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0