St. Emilion to La Reole - A zig-zag tour across France - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2010

St. Emilion to La Reole

St. Emilion to La Reole
Heart 0 Comment 0

WEATHER: SUNNY AND COOL

We packed up and left at 10:00, cycling downhill through the vineyards and cornfields back to the bridge at Branne. Turned left right away and went along the river on a very small road. Wound our way south on tiny roads (where we saw deer racing through the vineyards) to Sauveterre de Guyenne. We enjoyed a good lunch outside at Restaurant des Arcades in the village square where the weekly market was just finishing up.

We quickly adjusted to leisurely lunches in many town squares. The menu du jour usually seemed just right for hungry cyclists.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After lunch we continued south on the main road for 3 km then branched off on smaller roads all the way to our chambre d'hote at the winery Chateau Bosquet des Fleurs, just outside La Réole. We met Karine, the young proprietor with two small children and a passion for winemaking. She and her husband had completely redone the small chateau, and our large room with bathtub overlooking the merlot vineyard was very comfortable. Because it was late in the season, we were the only guests.

The comfortable bedroom with a lovely view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The renovated chateau consisted of a B&B on the left, and family living quarters on the right. Merlot and Cabernet vineyards surrounded everything.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the evening we walked 2 km downhill into La Réole to explore and have dinner at Aux Fontaines, the restaurant Karine had recommended. We had a very good dinner there along with a bottle of Chateau Bosquet des Fleurs red.

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 178 km (111 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0