Mirepoix--Lagarde--Mirepoix: no weight on the bikes - A zig-zag tour across France - CycleBlaze

October 29, 2010

Mirepoix--Lagarde--Mirepoix: no weight on the bikes

WEATHER: SUNNY AND WINDY

After breakfast we took off on our bikes south and then east gently uphill to the small village of Lagarde. There was a strong east headwind, so even though we had no weight on the bikes, it was still hard work. The ruined chateau looming over the village was very impressive, but it was all locked up so we couldn't go inside. While exploring the narrow streets of Lagarde, we happened to run into the former caretaker of the ruins, who explained that for liability reasons the town would have to set up a formal society to reopen the chateau to visitors. We took lots of photos from the outside, and headed back to Mirepoix for lunch with a nice tailwind.

The ruined chateau looming above the village of Lagarde.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had lunch in the arcade sitting in the sunshine, where it was so gusty, that the wind blew a glass of wine over on our table. We had galettes with mushroom, ham and cheese and our usual desserts--fondant au chocolate for Eva and tarte tatin for Al. We spent another couple of hours cycling around Mirepoix to look at the ancient oak tree and the canal and some of the back streets, before going back to the hotel to relax before dinner.

The central square in Mirepoix.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking from one end of the arcades toward the other.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dinner at the hotel was very good again--this time with sea bass for the main course.

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 614 km (381 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0