Flying to Canada: a very long day - A zig-zag tour across France - CycleBlaze

November 12, 2010

Flying to Canada: a very long day

Gen phoned a taxi for us, and we left Cosy Corner about 11:00 for the Bordeaux airport. We were not ready to leave France. Not ready to stop cycling. We were just getting on the plane out of a sense of duty.

Our 1:50 pm flight to Amsterdam left right on time. We had almost two hours at the Amsterdam airport, time for a snack at the cafe where we had eaten lunch a very eventful month ago. This cafe was within the airport security zone, so we were shocked when got near the boarding lounge for our flight to Vancouver to discover a huge lineup of passengers, and a full-fledged security operation at the entrance to the lounge. X-ray machines, shoes off, the works. We were told this was because we would be passing over US airspace on our non-stop flight to Vancouver. Go figure. All this took a lot of extra time, so the plane left late--about 6:00 in the evening.

We arrived at YVR, tired and typically disoriented, more than ten hours later, but still the same evening (local time). We had left our car at the long-term parking lot, so weren't expecting anyone to meet us. As we wheeled our cases through the crowds towards the exit, our daughter suddenly appeared, there to greet us unexpectedly. This definitely perked us up.

We stayed with her in Vancouver for five days before driving home 700 kilometers across the snowy mountains of southern BC to Nelson. This is what our house looked like when we arrived home.

Minus 12 degrees and a foot of snow greeted us at home. No cycling for a few days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0