Flying and arriving - A zig-zag tour across France - CycleBlaze

October 12, 2010

Flying and arriving

We both slept a few hours on the plane before landing at Amsterdam Schipol airport on time at 14:00. With our 5 hour stopover we had hoped to take the train into downtown Amsterdam, apparently only 15 minutes away, but the passport control and baggage storage was too confusing. By the time we figured it out, an hour had gone by and we were tired, so we decided to just stay at the airport, look at the shops and get something to eat. We found sandwiches and good salad and fruit juice at a pleasant cafe. I looked for bicycle earrings at the souvenir shops--no luck even in the bicycling hub of Holland--but I did find a couple of novels in English.

Our plane to Bordeaux was delayed an hour because of the start of the pension strikes in France. We found out later that we were lucky the plane went at all as there were extensive airline cancellations during that day throughout France. We arrived at Bordeaux just past 23:00 and lined up for a taxi to our B&B, only to discover that there were hardly any taxis, because they were all booked up due to the transit strike. We finally reached Cosy Corner B&B about midnight, and met Geneviève and Thierry, both very welcoming who showed us to a good sized room, quiet and colourful. We gratefully went to bed and to sleep.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0