To Comacchio - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2020

To Comacchio

(Nota bene: today’s video will be posted later, maybe days later.  It will have to to wait for a room with stronger WiFi.  In the meantime, here’s a link).

The day begins with a scare when I forget that our room has a two step drop to the level of the bathroom.  My foot slips off the front end of a step and lands hard with my leg taking the full force of my weight.  I catch my balance and don’t fall, but my right knee is definitely unhappy with me.  For a moment it brings back the memory of the time I ruptured the quadriceps tendon in my other knee a decade ago running down the stairs in the Trento train station.  That didn’t happen this morning, thank god; but I’m definitely slowed down going down the stairs to breakfast.  It’s probably a good thing that we don’t have a hill on our cycling horizon for the next five days.

Other than that, today is brilliant.  It begins with visits to our last two mosaic sites, which again will wait for a separate post.  It may take a while to get around to it - maybe I’ll bank it for an activity when the rains come.

The Ravenna Cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Posing in Piazza del Popolo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking up from the Piazza del Popolo. Ravenna is obviously worth a longer look than we’re giving it here.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We’re on the road by a bit after 10.  It’s sunny but still chilly enough for an extra layer.  Looking ahead, that looks to be the case for as long as we stay in the north - lows in the high forties, highs around 60.  It shortens the comfortable riding hours, but as long as the fair weather holds out it makes for excellent riding conditions.  Once the rains really set in though it’s likely we’ll bail on the north and hop a train south to Puglia.

Leaving Ravenna.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our destination today is Comacchio, a small town I’d never heard of before scanning the map for a likely stop on our ride north.  At the time, I was researching a possible route to Chioggia, the town at the south end of the Venetian lagoon.  We were thinking we might bike up there and then use it as a base for a visit to Venice, which you can reach from Chioggia by a tragetto across the lagoon.  We were put on to this idea by an American we were chatting with over breakfast back in Split.  He said we really should go to Venice now, because there will never be a better time to see it again.  Out of high season, minimal tourism, no cruise ships.  He’s right, of course; and even though we dropped Chioggia from our plans, Venice is still there in the back of our minds - we could leave the bikes behind somewhere and take the train over to Venice for a few days when it’s too wet to ride.  We’ll see.

Anyway, Comacchio.  From its location and description, it sounds perfect.  It receives praise for its unspoiled nature and its beauty, and is described regarded as a ‘little Venice’.  Having visited a number of small towns with a pretty canal that they tout as making them like a little Venice, we don’t expect too much.  We’re sure it will be fine though, as long as we can find a room and a meal.  The ride itself is the thing.

The ride for the most part is brilliant.  A flat, lazy 28 mile spin is just what the knee doctor ordered, and my knee is already feeling somewhat better by the end of the day.  Most of the ride follows along or near the coastline, passing through one nearly deserted seaside resort or fishing village after another.  The ride is particularly beautiful skirting the end of Piallassa Bay south of Porto Corsini, as we pass one striking scene after another.

Lift net fishing outposts are seen everywhere along the coast here. This is on the edge of Piallassa Bay, south of Porto Corsini.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along Piallassa Bay.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along Piallassa Bay. I love how distinctive these lift net structures are. Each is different, attractive in its own unique way.
Heart 3 Comment 0
OK, Bill. This should be enough information for you.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltGreat shot! These sandpiper type birds always give me problems, but after lots and lots of image comparisons, I think it might be a common sandpiper.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/3978-Actitis-hypoleucos
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltYou and these ‘common’ species. Common wall lizard; common sandpiper; common yellow butterfly; common yellow flower. I think that’s just your go to answer when you aren’t sure. I’ll bet it’s really a marsh sandpiper, which is much more interesting. It is a marshy habitat here, after all.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltChuckle... Just common sense!

Yeah, that was one of the top contenders, but I could not find a photo with plumage as dark as your photo.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Another charming relic, along Piallassa Bay.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We break for lunch in Casal Borsetti, a small, nearly deserted seaside resort.   We arrive just before 1, and Rachael makes it in to the only open store in town to pick up lunch just before the shop closes for afternoon break.  On our way there I have a slight mishap, snapping off my mirror when I bike too close to a hedge.  No catastrophe, but I’ll be riding mirrorless until we come to a town big enough to have a well stocked bike shop.  Amazing that this has never happened before, really.  One more thing to watch out for.

We take lunch on the side of the canal, lazily watching a lift netter repeatedly lowering and raising his net with limited success. 

Lunch stop, Casal Borsetti.
Heart 1 Comment 0
If I ever take up fishing, maybe I’ll do it this way. It looks like a technique I could master.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jen RahnWould be fun to try!

Looks less fair for the fish .. but also more humane.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnIt does look fun, in a lazy sort of way. Actually, that’s my idea of fishing in general.

Nice point about it being a kinder, gentler way to kill fish. They end up suffocating, but that was going to happen anyway. No sense impaling them first.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Looking north toward Venice from Casal Borsetti. We’re definitely hitting the sweet spot on the weather map this week.
Heart 2 Comment 0

North of Casal Borsetti we’re forced onto the highway for four miles, as we bike up the narrow strip of land between the sea and the large lagoon south of Comacchio.  There’s no alternative to this stretch, and the narrow two lane highway is an unpleasant ride.  If we were to come this way again I’d avoid this stretch and take the inland route instead, following the west side of the lagoon.

Looking north; but it’s the same in other directions. There’s not a hill in sight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s almost worth riding this short stretch of highway for the chance to take in the fantastic bird show on Canale Gobbino.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along Canale Gobbino.
Heart 2 Comment 7
Bill ShaneyfeltGreat egret photo! 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_egret
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltI’m sure you meant to say great great egret photo.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltMy great great grandma might...

Did you notice the lonely grey heron in the upper right corner?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_heron
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltNo, I missed the heron. How great! He looks like he’s trying to blend in, going incognito.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltHe's just gray, not great, like they are...

But hanging in the background makes it easier for him to blend.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltJust so. Makes me think of ‘the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River, all set about with fever-trees’.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltKipling wittingly worked words which into our wits... Sorry, "alliterally," that's 'bout the best I can bring.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

The final few miles are a delight, once we leave the highway and pass through Porto Garibaldi.  The town is split by a navigable canal, with no roads crossing it other than the main highway. Happily though, there’s a small passenger ferry that shuttles across the narrow waterway.  The fare, for two bicycles plus riders: 1.40 eu.

The ferry crossing, Porto Garibaldi.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The remainder of the ride follows this same canal inland for three miles to Comacchio.  We have a bit of mapping confusion when we arrive in town, and I think the final mile took us about half an hour - including an obnoxious cobblestoned detour in the wrong direction, as we both wondered why we had booked a room so far from the heart of town.

Once we arrive though, we’re immediately charmed and amazed.  Comacchio really is a little Venice, laced with canals bridged with arched foot passages.  It’s a beautiful place, and one that causes us to rethink our plans.  Why are we in such a mad rush anyway, with one gruelling, flat thirty mile day after another?  Comacchio looks like a fine place to stay an extra day and take a ride along the lagoon and canals.  We change our plans and book a second night, happy with the thought that we can take our time exploring this unique little place.

Obviously a major fishery. We’ve been biking along the canal passing an unbroken line of fishing boats for half a mile.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Free Willy!
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Comacchio, a town that deserves the moniker Little Venice.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jen RahnBeautiful! Amazing how a little bending waterway can transform a cityscape.

This scene would be much more boring if the homes just had a strip of grass in between.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
In Comacchio.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Comacchio.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Comacchio.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Comacchio.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 29 miles, 500’; for the tour: 1635 miles, 76,700’

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 1,664 miles (2,678 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jen RahnOuch! Sorry about your knee.

I'm sure the decision to stay over an extra day in Comacchio will help it recover.

It's amazing what our brains & bodies accomplish every day .. calculating safe load-bearing angles and balance and etc. .. all while we're humming insurance company jingles.

And then all it takes for an injury is one design change that doesn't fit the brain's assumptions. (Bathrooms aren't supposed to be two steps down!)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltI used handlebar mounted mirrors for decades, but busted so many of them that about 15 years ago I switched to helmet mounted... You might say I never looked back? But they have drawbacks as well, usually being knocked out of adjustment. Broke the mounts and repaired them a number of times as well.

Conclusion I reached is if you can see behind you well, you will likely break your mirror occasionally, regardless of what kind it is. But riding on streets/highways, they are necessary.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltDon’t get me wrong here. We’ve gone through our own share of broken mirrors too, but this is the first time for losing one in this specific way. Usually we lose them when they work loose and fall out, or snap off when a poorly rested bike topples to the ground. I’ve tried helmet mirrors too,but don’t care for them. I’ll just keep buying new ones as needed. We’ve got a spare on this tour, uselessly waiting for us in our suitcase down in Puglia.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago