The Comacchio valleys - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

October 20, 2020

The Comacchio valleys

At breakfast this morning we spoke briefly with two German women staying at our hotel.  They’re down here for an entire week, taking in a range of activities.  Boating, hikes, today they’re renting bicycles.  It sounds like a fine way to pass a week.  We’re staying here two nights, but longer would be even better.

It’s cold again this morning, so we don’t start biking until nearly eleven.  Before then, Rachael takes off for the store and I wander around town a bit more with the camera.

In Comacchio.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Comacchio. The town’s economy historically was based on eel fishing. Displays of equipment used in traditional eel fishing are placed throughout the town. The large vessels are bolaghe, immersive pots for storing live eels after they’ve been captured. These are perforated ceramic, but traditionally they were wicker baskets.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Comacchio. This definitely looks Venetian, and is presumably a spot to moor the town’s equivalent of a gondola.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Comacchio.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Comacchio.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetI usually cringe when I see things like shopping bags hanging from handlebars, but this bike seems to be equipped with a guard to prevent them getting into the spokes.

Then I noticed the spoke guards on the rear fender. Much prettier than the one on the front!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetYes, the spoke guards are a nice touch. Practically a cargo bike.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
In Comacchio.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Comacchio.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Finally, we’re off.  Our ride begins by skirting the margin of the nearest lagoon, biking on a dirt path along the top of the dike.  We continue on this track for about four miles, but you could just keep going for much longer - trails continue on south, or east back to the sea.  From the short distance we covered this morning, I imagine it would be fantastic the whole way.

Looking back across the lagoon toward Comacchio.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I was stopped on the narrow trail atop the dike taking a photo when this crowd sped up from behind, split and biked past on either side. I stood very still.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view across the valley to Comacchio. I was puzzled when I first heard of the valleys of Comacchio, since this is a completely flat region. The lagoons are called valleys though.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view across the lagoon to Comacchio.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the time I didn’t know what this was, but I think it’s a lavoriero, a trap to catch migrating eels.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Limonium is common here along the margins of the canals. An information board lists four limonium species that are native here, all protected.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Andrea BrownThis is a plant from the asteraceae family (formerly known as compositeae. Limonium is in the plumbago family. This is probably an aster.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownSo disappointing and confusing. This was growing directly beneath an information board about limonium, with a photo of a plant that looked much like this.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
The valleys of Cormacchio. This is another area that would be well worth a longer stay. There are miles of cycling and walking paths that line the lagoons.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Comacchio lagoons are an important birding area. I’m gradually figuring this out, but this entire region of the Po Delta is now a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, recognized as one of the most important wetland regions in Europe.
Heart 2 Comment 0
OK, Bill - back to you again. Just don’t be telling us this is a common gull - OK? Look at the way that bright red foot is clenched around the rail!
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltComparing photos my common sense guess would be non-breeding adult Mediterranean gull. Characteristics it seems to have in common are red legs, mostly white with gray wings and back and a dark spot behind the eye with a black tip to the red-orange bill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_gull
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltPretty tough. I don’t remember knowing of the Mediterranean gull before, or it’s very similar cousin, the black headed gull. I think it’s probably a black headed gull, because of its black tipped primaries and the spotting on the head is a bit different. Could be either though.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Scott AndersonYeah, I toyed with black headed too. Not sure why I settled on Mediterranean other than the name.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Blueberries? If so, they’ve gone wild here, growing as large, almost treelike shrubs.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltSeems to check the ID points for blackthorn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_spinosa
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltBlackthorn! I’m a bit sloe on the uptake - didn’t you identify this for me once before?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Scott AndersonCould be. I just wish I could remember half of what I learn following journals and attempting to find nature IDs. A thorny problem as we creep through our 70s.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Most of the day’s ride was a ragged loop that broke away from the lagoons into the salt farmlands to the west.  It’s all ultra-flat - in the entire loop today we accumulated less than 300 feet of climbing.  Roads are a mix - some are a pure delight, on paved but slightly distressed single lane roads that are little more than tracks; and others are just a minor, shoulderless highway that carries so little traffic that the lack of a shoulder is never a concern.

Toward the end of the ride, we enjoy an especially quiet few miles that unexpectedly end in a barricaded bridge across a canal, it’s plank surface rotted through in spots.  Both ends of the bridge are blocked by large concrete drums, with no space to wedge between or around them.  Go over, or go back.

We went over or course, but slowly and laboriously.  To our amusement, we discovered later that Rachael accidentally left her GoPro on during the whole time; so we can share this link with you for your viewing amusement.

Leaving the lagoons, we execute a large loop inland, generally following the canals. Our roads today are a mixed lot - some are minor highways, others are awesome cycling roads like this.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s always a surprise to see how beautiful such a plane land can be.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Jen RahnPlane, but certainly not plain!!

(I can't believe I'm the first to jump at this opportunity.)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnThat was a setup, just for you. I knew you’d bite.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnWell, thank you then.

Made my day!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Somewhere west of Comacchio.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There was a light haze or fog over the lagoon that never fully burned off all day. Just enough to give the day an aura of mystery.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jen RahnNow I've got that Eagles song in my head ..

"Somewhere out on that horizon
Out beyond the neon lights
I know there must be somethin' better .."
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
We went for miles on some of these roads without seeing a car.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The world to ourselves.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nice to see one of these guys still walking around for a change.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So this would explain why we haven’t seen a car for awhile on this road.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jen RahnWhat a whimsical road block!

Made lovely by the fashionable human and bicycles on top.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnWhimsical is a good observation. The stripes and colors make it seem like a carnival scene.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bike Fridays go anywhere, with a little effort and enterprise.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today’s video (linked here Until we can upload it to Vimeo).

Video sound track: Shades of Grey, by Al Marconi

At our restaurant tonight, I was feeling adventurous and decided to try the grilled eel.  I’ve never eaten eel before that I can recall, and if not now, when?  

Leaving the restaurant, I glanced at its wall covered with black and white photographs.  I was sorry I hadn’t looked when we first arrived to an empty restaurant, because now it’s nearly full and I don’t want to intrude on the space of the diners seated nearby.  I just got a sideways glance, but enough to be startled by the fact that every one of them was a photograph of Sophia Loren.  Researching this later, I see that she got her start here, in Comacchio: her first major role was as the lead in La Donna del Fiume (The River Girl), shot in Comacchio and other spots in the Po Delta region.  We’ll have to view it some winter night when we’re back home.

Fighting the crowds on our way to dinner.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Grilled eel with polenta. Much better than I expected, and something I’d order again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 42 miles, 300’; for the tour: 1677 miles, 77,000’

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 1,706 miles (2,746 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Bob DistelbergNice how Rachael's bike with the GoPro was perfectly positioned to record the transfer of the other bike over the barriers on both ends.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnA video of Team Anderson problem solving!

Love it. Especially Rachael's immediate declaration of "We can get around this!"
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Stewart BradyI think the bird is a black headed gull in winter plumage and the blueberries look like sloes.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Stewart BradyYes! Another vote for the black headed gull. I knew it all along. Really a sharp looking bird.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnThat was my comment when Rachael first showed it to me. I was impressed at what an effective team it made us look like. Caught us at a good moment.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob DistelbergYes, a lucky accident. It’s one we’ll enjoy reliving years from now.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago