Just for the record - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

November 7, 2020

Just for the record

I thought I’d record where I was this morning when a bit of news came in.  Guess I’ll head back to the apartment and celebrate with the other half of the team.

In Caffe Umbria: 8:35, Saturday AM.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 12
Carolyn van HoeveWoo hoo! Fantastic news. Congratulations! What a relief
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mike AylingWell congratulations to all you Biden supporters.
Meanwhile at 8AM here in Melbourne Australia there is not a cloud in the sky and we are anticipating an announcement today from our State Premier removing the 25 km radius home bubble and allowing Melbournians to visit the rest of the State which the tourism and
hospitality operators there are desperately awaiting as we have had no tourism,local or international since March.
Man, you blokes have a long road ahead of you to contain the China Virus.
Good Luck
Mike
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Mike AylingEnjoy your new-found freedom! I’ve been following you all down there, wondering when you could venture out again. One of these days we’ll be able to come down that way again, but it’s going to be awhile. Maybe with the one virus out of our systems now, the other will move on a little quicker.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith ClassenIf you were wondering about the warm winds coming out of the north it is just a collective sigh of relief from your northern neighbours . You weren’t the only ones with disruptive sleep patterns in recent days. Congratulations! We were so impressed with the Biden / Harris speeches tonight. Now that’s presidential! What a welcome change.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesToday really was a historic day, so it was appropriate for you to record where you were when the news came. Other such important days in our memory include the 1962 resolution of the Cuban missile crisis, the moon landing, and of course the various high profile assassinations. Hey, why are these all American? Oh wait, I was at McGill when Pierre Trudeau declared the War Measures Act, and there were snipers atop the Stephen Leacock building. But anyway, yes, today was a big one!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYour memory is much better than mine, I’m sure. The ones cemented in time for me are John Kennedy’s assassination (announced by John Rasmussen, our US History teacher in 11th grade); 9/11 (we were on bicycle tour, in Orvieto); and arguably the worst catastrophe in my lifetime - the day Trump won in 2016, when we were on tour in Silver City, New Mexico.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith ClassenOh, my gosh! What a breath of fresh air, listening to the acceptance speeches. It does give one hope.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnWhat a great idea to remember that fine table at Caffe Umbria!

And I love reading these messages of support from our neighbors to the north and Australia.

What was it like when you walked back to your Airbnb? We saw a lot of video footage of dancing in the streets.

We were at our apartment and enjoyed sharing celebratory texts and emails with friends and family. A couple of friends were celebrating decade birthdays .. there could not have been a greater gift than yesterday's news!!

Listening to the speeches was a full-body experience .. a load off the shoulders, an opening in the chest, smiles and tears of joy and hope. A feeling that even though the worst of the pandemic is yet to come, we will get through it!

Onward with our heads held high.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnIt was pretty quiet walking back to the apartment, but I know there was a lot of commotion downtown. It was definitely upbeat here at the coffee shop though. I think I was the first to see the news here. I held my iPad up to show the headline to the counter staff, and a big cheer went up. A minute later a woman walked in the store, all grins, pumping both arms in the air.

And you’re right about the victory speeches last night. So cathartic.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Suzanne GibsonGreat relief here, too! Yoohoo! Happy for you and for the rest of the world. What a mess Trump made of EU-US relations. Everyone is looking forward to restored communication with the US.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonIt feels like VE Day. Yesterday must have been a banner day for the champagne distributors. I imagine the sound of a million corks popping around the world.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bruce LellmanWhen the news is so good that there is spontaneous dancing in the streets it is indeed historic. Here at our house Andrea went to the front porch and started whistling, you know, that kind of loud, high-pitched whistling that few can do. I grabbed our enormous and heavy brass gong and beat it on the front porch until I couldn't hold it any longer. There were lots of whistles, shouts of joy and clapping in our neighborhood. The nearby church even rang its bell!! Now that's historic! We are thrilled to have Biden AND Harris to lead us out of this mess.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago