In Ferrara: the committee returns - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

October 27, 2020

In Ferrara: the committee returns

Evolution 

This has been a mentally exhausting last few days.  It feels like the most troubled of the times leading up to departing for Croatia this summer.  So much uncertainty, so many unknowns.  You wake up one morning with a clear idea in mind, and it’s quickly washed away by the next bit of information that comes in.  It’s hard to believe that it was only Sunday morning, just 48 hours ago, that we settled on Plan A.

Sunday AM: Plan A (Bike to Piacenza)

The weather has taken a turn for the much better here in the Po valley.  Conditions look fair and stable for about 10 days, and it seems clear that we’ll be able to bike all the way to Piacenza, as planned.  We detail out the coming days, make bookings through to Cremona, create and load GPS routes, and then take off for a day ride.  Plan A looks like this:

  • 10/27: bike to Sermide, a village on the Po about halfway to Mantua.  We’ve booked at a nice sounding inn with a couple of restaurants close by.
  • 10/28-9: Bike to Mantua, stay two nights at an apartment near the river, an easy walking distance to the center.  We’re excited about this place and stay.  Last time here, we stayed in the core and hated riding over its horrible cobblestones and climbing four steep floors up to an attic room with beams so low I brained myself three times before mastering the layout.
  • 10/30: Canetti sull’ Oglio, another riverside town halfway to Cremona.  Not beside that river though, but the Oglio - the minor tributary that flows south to the big river from its origin at Lake Iseo.
  • 10/31-11/01: Cremona.  We’ve booked ourselves into a very nice sounding apartment, the Stone Violin, about two blocks from the cathedral.  We loved Cremona last time and are anxious to return.
  • 11/02-4: Piacenza.  Not yet booked, in case the good weather doesn’t hold out that far after all.
  • 11/05-7: Take the train to Tremoli, a town on the Molise coast just north of Puglia.  It sounds like a beautiful place.  It will take all day on the train and require transfers at Ancona and Pescana, but then we’ll stay for a few day rides before continuing south to Brindisi to collect our waiting suitcases and take the ferry to Greece.

Monday AM: Plan B (bike to Brindisi)

We return from dinner Sunday evening to news of the new, tighter Covid restrictions that go into effect nationwide at midnight.   Gyms, pools and cinemas are closing, which is fine by us.  Closure of restaurants by 6 PM is another story though.  How will restaurants and society deal with this?  Will some start shutting down entirely?  Will we get trapped somewhere and not be able to get a meal?  We’re going to starve!  Suddenly it feels like we need to be getting out of Italy sooner than later.  Greece is one of the only remaining green spots on the EU map.  

It’s obvious that at a minimum we’re going in the wrong direction.  Instead of biking northwest toward Piacenza we need to be going south toward Brindisi, our suitcases, and the ferry to Greece.  We could take the train but in the middle of the night I wake up, think with discomfort about spending fifteen hours cooped up in four regional trains when Covid is raging rampant, and scope out the idea of biking south along the Adriatic coast to Brindisi instead.  I come up with what looks like a plausible route: 14 days more or less, all short enough that we can get our miles in and arrive in town early enough for lunch as our main meal of the day.  The planned itinerary: Comacchio, Ravenna, Rimini, Ancona, Port Sant’ Elpidio, Alba Adriatica, Pescara, Vasto, Termoli, Lescina, Manfredonia, Bitonto, Monopoli, Brindisi.

We discuss this over breakfast, and quickly reach consensus.  We cancel the reservations made just the previous morning for Sermide, Mantua and Cremona, and make new ones for the coming days in Comacchio, Ravenna, Rimini, and Ancona.  Far enough for now.  We can always change our minds in Ancona and catch the train from there if the situation keeps worsening.  

With that settled, we set off for a ride east along the Po.  Along the way we chat with Romain and his family, racing to Venice and their own escape to Greece.  They reinforce our thoughts about leaving the country, and if anything make us think ours are too slow.

Tuesday AM: Plan C

I awake in the middle of the night, take my iPad to the bathroom, and read the mail.  Item 1: a note from Romain sharing a link to The Local, an Italian paper in English.  He recommends reading it for perspective on Covid developments.  It has a firewall, so I take out a one month subscription and read the latest.  The government is cautioning against all unnecessary travel, and warns that they cannot guarantee that other constraints including curfews or regional travel restrictions will not be coming before long (and, in fact, the next morning we’ll learn that already Campania clamped down and banned unnecessary travel into or out of its province).  We’re going too slow.

I go back to bed, sleep on it a bit, and then get up to see if there’s a ferry to Greece from Ancona.  There is.  We could contact our hotel in Brindisi, have our suitcases shipped to Ancona, and leave the country there in just 4 or 5 days.  And then I check the mail and read item 2: a note from my primary care physician at Kaiser.

I’ve developed a sore on my shoulder, probably at least two months ago now, that I’ve assumed was from an insect bite that was slow to heal because I keep scratching and aggravating it.  It finally sinks through to my pea brain that maybe something else is going on.  Saturday morning, Rachael takes a photo of it and I send it off to Kaiser.  Later that day we hear from the weekend doctor who says it looks like an inflamed hair follicle and recommends over the counter treatment as well as more disciplined personal behavior (stop scratching, idiot!).  Good news!  I’d been wondering if it could be cancerous, and if we should be going home. So at least we don’t have that problem to deal with. 

But, we do have that problem to deal with after all.  My doctor is back on duty now, has shared the photo with the dermatologists, and they think it could be cancerous after all.  We e-chat a bit, and he says it’s probably fine to wait until January.  If it were his decision he probably wouldn’t come home now, unless it gets worse.  Watch it, and in the meantime start applying cortisone.

And then, there’s item 3, regarding a different issue we haven’t mentioned before.  Our son Shawn called up Saturday night to let us know how his Friday doctor’s appointment went.  Shawn has a birth defect, a bicuspid aortic valve, and his medical team believes he needs it replaced with an artificial heart valve.  Sometime over the winter he’s looking at open heart surgery.

Suddenly, it’s obvious.  Plan C:  go home.  Now.

Execution

So, this takes a bit of thought.  Rachael and I talk it through as soon as we’re up, and quickly agree that we need to leave as soon as possible.  The fastest option is to fly home from Bologna (I researched flights last night before going back to sleep).  So much to do all of a sudden.  Cancel the reservations we just made in Comacchio, Ravenna, Rimini and Ancona.  Decide which flight we want to take home.  Find a hotel in Bologna.  Contact the hotel in Brindisi and arrange for our suitcases to be shipped up.  Figure out where to stay when we reach Portland.  

Everything comes together, and we get it all done in a few hectic hours: we’ll stay another night here, and then stay three nights in Bologna, flying out Saturday AM.  Suitcases are in shipment to Bologna, and should arrive tomorrow.  The flight is booked, and we have an AirBnB in Northwest Portland booked for the month of November.  I have an appointment with the dermatologist next Friday.

Amazing.  For now at least, our Balkan dream of winter in Crete will remain exactly that: a dream.  Home in time for the election after all, and the coming civil war!  Not our first choice of course, and we’re not at all enthusiastic about returning to our deranged homeland.  

It’s the right thing to do under the circumstances though, obviously.  Team Anderson has been so lucky, and has used up at least several of its proverbial nine lives by now.  No sense pushing our luck too far and finding ourselves trapped on the wrong side of the ocean at the wrong time of life.

Our host Marjan stopped by to pick up the extra day’s lodging fee. Best host ever, and a terrific apartment. If you’re ever in Ferrara, stay at La Scarana.
Heart 1 Comment 0
After spending the rest of the morning walking around town, we go back to Sunday night’s restaurant for lunch so Rachael could have that awesome pasta again. The same server, and she’s still a space cadet. We left a decent tip this time though.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Still a dream, for now.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 18
Steve Miller/GrampiesSteve and I were talking about your forthcoming plans this evening. We both felt that if it were us we would be coming home sooner rather than later. In fact we did just that a year and a half ago when our daughter needed urgent health care - either surgery or radiation. She is now living with us and we are managing illness and a time of Covid but at least we are together. So sorry that your wonderful trip is coming to a sudden end but there will be light at the end of the tunnel and Europe, Greece and cycling will be there on the other side-for you and for us too. Take care. Safe travels "home."
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bob DistelbergI'm so sorry to hear that your winter travel plans aren't working out, but it sounds like the travel gods are telling you 'Go home!'. I would definitely make the same decision you have. Travel safe.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob DistelbergThanks, Bob. We’re sorry to be heading home too, especially since it’s so brilliant here now. No regrets though. It’s the obvious right thing to do, and we know how fortunate we were to have had the experience we did. As it is, the past 10 weeks are still one of the longer tours of our lives, and one of the best.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI have thought about your decision to come home from that tour many times, and wondered when we’d be in the same situation. Mostly I wonder about my aging parents, and it’s a shock to have it be because of Shawn and my own health instead. It’s just as well that we have multiple reasons to head home, because it made the decision so clear and easy to come to.

And you’re right, of course. Greece and Italy aren’t going anywhere soon, and with any luck we’ll be back before long. Thanks for following along!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI concur with the Grampies that sometimes you just know when it’s time to cut short a trip and come home. The decision to leave early from Thailand last January was so clearly the right one that I mostly just feel incredible gratitude that I actually listened to my gut for once. We have been enjoying your trip by proxy and are sad that these circumstances have intervened but we look forward to seeing you somewhere socially distanced in Portland again. Your steed awaits, the one with four wheels.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnWow! That's quite a set of circumstances driving the rapidly evolving plans.

I'm sorry for the roller coaster ride that you've been on as you try to figure it all out, especially for the unsettling news about Shawn's health and your shoulder.

The strong clarity and resolve that steered you to the obvious Plan C will carry you through any political bullshit that awaits you on this side of the pond.

And you have friends not far from your November lodging! We will find a way to gather safely to share mutual support.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithI hate that you've had to cut your trip short, but it does seem that it is the best choice. Kerry and I both really enjoy your journals and this one has been so interesting and entertaining. You have inspired me to work on taking better photographs for our journals. We'll miss hearing from you daily and send our best wishes to you and your son.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Patrick O'HaraHi Scott and Rachel.
Sorry to hear about your change of plans. But, hey. Like you said, you two have lifetimes of memories to fall back on. And, Crete's not going anywhere. All the best to you and your family. Thinking of you guys. Hope your travel home is safe, relaxing and as stress free as possible. Patrick
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Gregory GarceauI don't like writing the same things that a bunch of other people have already written, but in this case I'll make an exception. 1) I'm sorry you had to end the trip and 2) I think you made the right decision.
I had to end my Mojave Desert tour early a few years ago due to my son's crisis, so I know how lousy it feels. But I know it would have felt lousier NOT to have done so.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Suzanne GibsonSo sorry to hear your news, Scott and Rachael. Sorry that Shawn needs the op, that your shoulder needs looking at and that your trip is ending prematurely. Going home earlier than planned might be a good idea anyway, seeing how the number of virus infections is rising in Europe and not knowing how good medical care might be in the countries you are touring in. Hope that Shawn's operation goes well and that your shoulder sore is a minor infection.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks so much, from both of us to both of you. Looking forward to following each other on the road again soon.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonThanks, Suzanne. With each passing day it feels a bit less secure over here. It’s amazing how fast everything is deteriorating here - not that things look any better back in our sorry country right now either. Good luck weathering the winter out there. I hope you manage to get some riding in.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathleen JonesDitto on what everyone else above said. Best wishes and good thoughts go to you and your son and to Rachael.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauI remember when you ended your Mojave trip. The right call then, the right call now. Thanks for following along again. I have no idea what will happen with Shawn’s situation, but if we head back there we’ll let you know. As I recall, you owe me a Surly Axe Man.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesThanks so much, Kathleen. Great to have you joining us again! Until next time, which I imagine will be sooner than later. We aren’t even back home yet and already I’m feeling bored with the same old routine.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraThanks, Patrick. It’s obviously the right thing to do, but we’re sorry to be leaving right now, when the weather has really turned fine here for awhile. The next ten days look like fine cycling weather here, far nicer than it looks back home. It’s deteriorating so quickly though - even Greece has started imposing regional shutdowns.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Susan CarpenterI echo what the others have remarked re the difficulty and soundness of your decision. I am also wishing for healthy outcomes for everyone - for your shoulder, for Shawn's operation, and for people everywhere facing this COVID surge. And I'm also fervently, and nervously, wishing for an election outcome that begins healing the American partisan divide. What very strange times these are!
Hoping your return to Portland goes smoothly and safely.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Susan CarpenterOh, Lordy. We’d better win alright. I’ve been meaning to congratulate you for the work you’ve been doing on voter turnout. Hope for the best!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago