In Bologna: a walk in the parks - Balkan Dreams - CycleBlaze

October 30, 2020

In Bologna: a walk in the parks

Bologna surprised us both by what an appealing city it is.  We’ll come back and look at the city itself later after we’ve returned to Portland, but not now.  It will make a nice rainy day activity to post a photo gallery from here, as well as the ones still missing from Ravenna and Ferrara.   For now though, let’s look to the hills.

Bologna is a foothill town, right at the southern extreme of the Po basin.  The city lies on the plain, but the Appenines start rising up abruptly right at the southern edge of town.  If you’re a cyclist (and there are many cyclists in Bologna - it’s another fine biking town), there’s great diversity in the rides available.  You can bike in three directions and find the sort of flat, relaxed riding we’ve been seeing in recent days.  Or you can head south.  On a long day ride you can cross the Appenines and drop into Florence, after 9,000’ of climbing and a 4,000’ pass.

Or, you can walk.  There‘s a belt of splendid foothill parks that begin right at the edge of the city, about a mile from the cathedral and other major monuments.  Our bikes are packed away For the flight home, so we struck out on our feet instead.  Rachael  went up into the hills both days we were here.  I stayed in the city for the first day but joined her on the second.  The weather and fall colors made for brilliant walking conditions.

Entering Parco di Villa Gighi.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltGoldenrod
https://www.naturepl.com/stock-photo-golden-rod-solidago-virgaurea-in-flower-mount-terminillo-lazio-italy-image01473335.html
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walnuts.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltNasty honey locust! Invasive in Europe.

https://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/photos-gleditsiatriacanthos/ita/
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wicker trash receptacle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltRose hips! Good source of vitamin C.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_canina
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltYes, but what’s the other plant?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltOut of focus?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltWatch this space, but not this specific post. A better photo of Plant B will be coming.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Makes us want to return here and explore these hills with our bicycles.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Sanctuary again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Steve Miller/GrampiesDid you feel any of the shaking from the earthquake in Greece/Turkey earlier today?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesNope. Or if I did, I didn’t recognize it as such. The epicenter was about 800 miles away though, so bout as likely as you feeling quakes from Northern California. I see though that Greece is starting to have regional Covid lockdowns though, so there’s another reason we’re as well off coming home. Darn it.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Carolyn van HoeveGood luck with your journey home and sorry you had to cut the trip short but sounds like the right decision. All eyes on your country this week and hoping that as in our country people overwhelmingly make the right choice.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Carolyn van HoeveThanks Carolyn, and thanks again for joining us on this adventure. We can’t wait for Tuesday - it feels like we’ve been holding our breaths for months now. Overwhelming support would be the ideal of course, but a thin win is fine too as long as the country doesn’t erupt in a civil war.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Carolyn van HoeveYes agreed, any win that is enough to avoid the Supreme Court will be a huge cause for celebration. I hope you are able to continue with a journal when you're back in Portland. I think we've all become too invested with your story now (well, speaking personally). There was an interesting story in the Guardian this morning about an English couple that moved to Portland a few years ago and their story about being there. Safe travels !
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathleen ClassenWe have a constant parade of ghouls and goblins, ninjas and princesses at the door. It is a beautiful evening here and we weren’t sure what to expect but the kids are out in droves and having so much fun. It is very uplifting, although we may run out of candy!! I am rereading your last few entries between groups of trick or treaters and thinking you might be in the air. Safe travels and soft landings if that is the case. I am voting with Carolyn that you continue your journal.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago