Day 13: Tour-de-Nebraska Day 4: Hastings rest day - Younger on Two Wheels 2021 - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2021

Day 13: Tour-de-Nebraska Day 4: Hastings rest day

Today was a rest day (for me). There were optional 30, 60 or 100 mile loops from Hastings, but I was anticipating eight days of riding starting Monday, so decided to recharge.

Logistics: How does a ride like this work? Where do people stay? How do you get 400 sweaty cyclists showered and ready for a social evening?

I stayed in a tent supplied by the University of Nebraska – Lincoln, which offers this service. They set up and move the tents each day, along with your bags. Also, at 5am they have some of the best coffee I’ve ever had. They are up at 4am french-pressing pot after pot and have it ready at 5 for the sleepy campers. Great bunch of people!

Air-conditioned rooms!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Some cyclists tent-camp on their own, and some stay in hotels. There is a service that offers air-conditioned cabins in the back of a semi-trailer (below). I think each door sleeps 5 people. It’s pretty close quarters but after the hot beginning to this ride it had me thinking…

Heart 0 Comment 0

This couple had a really cute teardrop trailer – I think one of them was cycling and one was driving. I was even more impressed when I learned the trailer is air-conditioned, thanks to a small generator.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Here are the bike racks that UNL sets up next to their tents. I never had to lock mine and never worried about my bike here. There are UNL staff there all the time and lots of other cyclists as well.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Showers! This was a surprise last time I rode the TDN. There is a service that has 24 shower stalls in the back of this semi-trailer. Each of the four doors has 6 showers – each with a small changing area. They heat the water right in the back of the truck, and it works really well! Nothing feels as good as a shower for washing off the grime and sweat of a long hot day! After you are done there is a large sink behind the table there for shaving, brushing teeth, or primping.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Several of us took a bus tour of the Naval Armory Depot that was active during WWII and is just outside town. In the picture below are bunkers where bombs were stored before being deployed. They have earth and grass on top to use the temperature of the earth to keep the bombs cool – very important! Currently, some of these are used to house pigs.

Heart 0 Comment 0

In the evening, First Street Brewery had free beer for TDN riders. Their IPA is very good!

Heart 0 Comment 0

The street was closed off and food trucks began serving up really good food. I wanted to try the Cajun truck, but the line was crazy so I opted for pizza.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we had live music from a local cover band before the ride director handed out some awards.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The evening weather was absolutely perfect with temperatures in the 70s and a light breeze. Last year’s wrapup was in a hall, and this was a much more enjoyable venue that allowed people to mingle more. It was a really nice evening!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow is the last day, and we ride from Hastings back to Kearney.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0