Day 11: Tour-de-Nebraska Day 2: Alma to Red Cloud - Younger on Two Wheels 2021 - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2021

Day 11: Tour-de-Nebraska Day 2: Alma to Red Cloud

After such a hot windy day yesterday EVERYONE was anxious to get out early and beat the heat. Breakfast was available at 5:30 and some people left in the dark.

We got on the road around 6:30 – here’s my friend Jimmy from Frisco, CO as we left. It was still pretty cool and no wind.

Heart 0 Comment 0

This route to Red Cloud was quite pretty with green rolling hills, and light traffic. That's still Jimmy ahead of me.

Heart 0 Comment 0

At the town of Franklin we were treated to free root beer floats at a local grocery store.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Another stop at some sort of VFW hall was more typical. Ice tea, cookies, and lots of other homemade treats.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

With the light wind we got to Red Cloud by 11am. I treated myself to a piece of strawberry rhubarb pie that some local ladies had baked.

Heart 0 Comment 0

After a rest and shower there was entertainment and free beer at the shelter in the park.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Good times but the heat kept growing and by dinner time it was over 100 again. We found the one restaurant in town (along with everyone else) and enjoyed prime rib and burgers.

Sandy (from WI), two sisters, Jeff, Diane, Jimmy
Heart 0 Comment 0

One of the things I enjoy most about rides like this is seeing all the other cool bikes people have. Someone like me nerds out on stuff like this, but I really admired this tandem recumbant owned by Jeff & Diane. Not the kind of bike I would ride, but I can admire the engineering and craftsmanship that went into it.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow temps are supposed to moderate after mid-day back down to normal 90s instead of 100s. We’re headed to Hastings, NE for two days.

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 538 miles (866 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0