Introduction - Great Divide & Trans America Trails (Steamboat to Del Norte) - CycleBlaze

Introduction

We’re both retired, and consider a good day one that starts with waking up. The two of us first toured together nine years ago, pedaling several hundred miles in the middle of small town America. Since then we’ve ridden loops, destination tours, simple over nighters, and an occasional charity ride. Our trips were generally limited by vacation time available, consent by the ruling party (our wives), and our physical ability. By physical ability, I’m referring to our hearts. Although we both attempted to stay active and challenge ourselves, we both suffered heart attacks. Paul was able to drive himself to the ER. Marc was not so fortunate. 

Life goes on, and so do our dreams. We’ve had a dream to ride the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route and the coast to coast Trans America Route for some time. The pandemic slowed up our plans. We tossed around ideas, deciding that if we attempted to ride the entire length at one time, our family lives would fall into disrepair. We opted, instead, to ride a chunk at a time. A plan was hatched, and the end result is to ride the GDMBR from Steamboat Springs, CO., and jumping on the Trans America Trail where they intersect at Kremmling, CO.  Then jump back off the TA Route to the GDMBR at Hartsel, CO., and continuing on to Del Norte, CO. 

Our plans include carrying Adventure Cycling Maps, ACA off-line app, smart phones with GAIA, and attitude that we don’t need to return to work, so we’ll take our time and enjoy the ride. We’re certainly not going to set any records. 

Bikes: Paul will ride his Priority 600X, with Pinion gearing and carbon belt, rear rack, and full size rear panniers. Marc will ride his Surly TeamV Ogre with Rohloff internal hub, rear rack and small panniers. Both will use front handlebar cradles.

We invite you to follow. Remember  it’s not the destination, but the journey. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0