Day 6 - Great Divide & Trans America Trails (Steamboat to Del Norte) - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2021

Day 6

We began our revised Route, away from the Trans Am and the GDMBR. It included a really nice section of downsloping road out of Fairplay, followed by the upward trudge of Trout Creek Pass. 

Paul was in a giant hurry, and scurried up and down Trout Pass in record time. He wanted to make sure our side trip was a success. It was. The Trail Head is an outstanding shop, with courteous employees. Housed in the same building was The Simple Eatery, which was probably some of the best food we had in Colorado, as well as very good staff. I like the town of Buena Vista, and was happy we made the side trip there. 

After lunch, we headed out into a slight headwind, and started towards Poncha Springs. Pretty uneventful area to ride, except for the climbing required just north of Poncha Springs. With the temperature hovering at 90 degrees, it was an exhausting day. The Lodge at Poncha Springs had one room left when we arrived. The closest campsite was more than 9 miles, all up mountain, so the decision was easy. The owner of the Lodge was a native of Canyon, TX, just down the road from where we call home. Small world. She saw our area code and knew we had to be from her homeland. She’s familiar with getting very muddy bicycles at her lodge, being as we are now back on the Great Divide Route. She asked us to clean and wash our bikes before taking them inside. That was a fair thing to ask us. We still had caked on mud from day 1!

Dinner was a small burger stand next door, that sold soft serve (sold A LOT of soft serve).

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 237 miles (381 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kelly IniguezThank you for mentioning restaurants and lodging by name. We will be in Buena Vista next week - we will be sure to try the Simple Eatery!

We've stayed at The Lodge before and also eaten at the little burger place next door. It's fun reading about someone else's experience in the same area.

BTW, my husband just bought a Priority 600. It's at the shop as we speak, being assembled and having road bars installed. He has great hopes for the bike. His other bike has a Rohloff, but he wanted to give the Pinion a try. Both are belt drives.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Marc BrooksTo Kelly IniguezThanks for the comments. I have two Rohloff’s, with no plans to change. I would like to upgrade the frame, but really have no reason to. Paul rides the Priority, and seems to like it.
I had the Elk burger on gluten free for lunch, and it was exceptional. I meant to take a photo of the front of the store, but Paul was always in a hurry that day. I believe it said State Highway Department in green on the building front.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike AylingTo Marc BrooksHi Marc
I also have two Rohloffs, one on a tandem and one on my Thorn Mercury. Great bits of kit.
Congratulations on your ride with the gravel and those big passes!

Mike
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Marc BrooksTo Mike AylingRohloff’s are wonderful to ride. I build my own wheels, and use Velocity rims on both bikes. My city bike has 36 spokes laced to Cliffhangers, and my touring bike has 32 spokes laced to Dually’s. The Dually’s have an internal width of 39, and make my tubeless Vittoria Mezcals (2.35) ride like 2.5” tires. The comfort is exceptional. Thanks for commenting!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago