Day 4 - Great Divide & Trans America Trails (Steamboat to Del Norte) - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2021

Day 4

Today was the Trans America Trail. It shares a section of highway north of Silverthorne. Labor Day weekend traffic was heavy today. We had good shoulder to Green Mountain Reservoir, where the Route bypasses the main highway to miss a section of road without shoulder. We saw a multitude of road bikers on this road, obviously because of its beauty, as well as for the 20 mile section of roller coaster pavement on the backside of the lake. Prior to reaching the lake, we crossed under a wildlife overpass, used to allow creatures big and small to cross the roadway without danger of being struck. If the state would spend that kind of money on a bike Route in this area, that would be awesome. 

A stop at a local watering hole with outside seating was the perfect break upon reaching Silverthorne, and the outstanding bike trail system in this area got us within about a mile of the REI. Odd as it may seem, the outdoor store carried the stove Paul wanted, but was out of fuel canisters. Both of us picked up needed items, and we were off to the bike trail system near Dillon Reservoir. A quick call to a friendly lady landed us a room at the Summit Inn, just a few more beautiful miles down the road. It was our first day of this trip without a mountain top summit. 

Gluten free fried chicken at The Outer Range Brewing Company was the perfect ending to a nice day on the roads.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 138 miles (222 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0