Day 3 - Great Divide & Trans America Trails (Steamboat to Del Norte) - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2021

Day 3

The mileage today was short. Camping adjacent to the river in the lowlands meant everything was soaked, so our departure was delayed waiting for the sunshine to dry thinks out. The roads to Kremmling were excellent, and we gained maximum speed after Inspiration Point. Good people were on this road today, as one angel offered us bottles of water. Our age showed again, as we were passed by an endurance runner going up the mountain. Yes, he ran faster than we could pedal our loaded bikes! We arrived in Kremmling much later than we had hoped, and decided to stop at the local coffee shop for some Java and a breakfast burrito. Now, Marc’s diet is an interesting one, called a LOW FODMAP diet, and today proved why the diet should be adhered to. One flour tortilla later, and Marc was destined to the “throne” for the afternoon and evening hours. That’s a mistake never to be made again. On the flip side, the Red Mountain RV Park is a jewel just off the Route, and is absolutely one of the cleanest and well kept camp sites you could ever wish for. The grass for tent camping is perfect. As we paid our camp fee, a Trans America rider showed up. He had started his day at Walden, CO. He was waiting on another cyclist to show up, and both were planning to make it to Dillon the following day. USFS firefighters were using the showers at the park, and the air strip across the street, where they were being shuttled via helicopter to fight a fire north and east of town.

 With Marc sickly, Paul cooked dinner on his stove, only to discover later that his antique stove had give up the ghost, and needed to be replaced. That confirmed our decision on tomorrow’s Route. We would ride the Trans Am to Silverthorne to the REI, to find a replacement stove, bypassing Ute Pass. Following the GDMBR would have left Paul without a stove for several days.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 87 miles (140 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0