Day 42 Midway, FL to High Springs, FL - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

April 10, 2021

Day 42 Midway, FL to High Springs, FL

Reunion with our "twofar" Tandem Buddies

Heart 0 Comment 0

We began the day excited that we only have three more days!

Heart 3 Comment 2
Fred GassHOORAY FOR THE HOME TEAM!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Margery Gass I think you two were a match made in heaven!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We were delighted to start riding without rain, we were not so delighted to have a full day of 14+mph headwinds. Riding against the wind makes the ride feel uphill. Fortunately, we had few real hills.

We love getting on the bike in the morning. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Florida countryside
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today we saw our second railway repair operation. There must have been ten specialized machines for removing spikes, old ties and then replacing the ties and hammering new spikes in. Here is one of the machines.

Heart 0 Comment 1
Margery GassI like trains. Glad they are taking care of them.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
More Florida countryside
Heart 5 Comment 0

Yesterday and today, the roadside flowers have been bright pink - from coral to fuchsia.  I think they are phlox.

Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltYup definitely phlox. Looks like there are about 8 species in that area, but it seems to match Drummond's phlox best.

http://www.biosci.utexas.edu/prc/digflora/wrc/NonEndemics/Phlox.html
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassThanks, Bill. I'm enjoying learning the names of these wildfliwers.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We beat the thunderstorm to High Springs by 5 minutes!  Greeting us there were Jeanna and Kerry Smith with whom we rode around northern Florida in 2019!! They are starting their 6,000 mile, 5 month journey by coming to St. Augustine with our group.  You can follow them at www.cycleblaze.com/journals/twofar2021.

Jeanna, Kerry and Ken
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltInteresting when 2 cycling journals cross paths!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassPretty fun! And, I forgot to mention that Tom and his wife met Jeanna and Kerry in Ohio in 2018 also ( we met them that year on the Erie Canal trail). They both ride recumbent tandems.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

The thunderstorm caused a power outage at the motel...

Heart 1 Comment 0

So we went and had a fabulous dinner at The Great Outdoors (the dinners compensate for the 1 star motels!) with Jeanna and Kerry joining us and Sue and Neil (friends of Dennis' who rode the Southern Tier with him three years ago). 

Heart 3 Comment 2
Margery GassGreat photo!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Devra JohnsonA lot of happy faces in this photo. So wonderful to be able to share life experiences along the way!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Power was back on when we returned from dinner!

Today's ride: 86 miles (138 km)
Total: 173 miles (278 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Steven BanYou’re almost there! What an achievement!! I had lunch with Dale H recently and sent him the address of your blog. He wrote back that he got chest pains just looking at your itinerary!😁

BTW, I’ve noticed that you have encountered head winds almost every day. Maybe next time you should bike from FL to CA!!😃
Reply to this comment
3 years ago