Day 41 Midway, FL to Madison, FL - Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry - CycleBlaze

April 9, 2021

Day 41 Midway, FL to Madison, FL

Heart 0 Comment 2
Jacquie LowellI have been marveling (till this post) not only at your achievements, but that you had managed to escape all the scary-bad weather in various parts of the country that I'd been hearing about on the news. Glad you didn't have to ride in a lightning-rich storm, and that you're now so close to the east end of our country... cycle on!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Ken GassToday, our penultimate riding day, our weather luck has run out. The electrical storm started at 5am, then returned in waves. We finally took off at 9:40 and got 8 miles down the road before the lightning returned. This could be a long wait, but we have an overhang here at the Circle K/Shell convenience store.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Lightning made the decision to ride or not, easy...no riding with lightning.  We looked at the weather radar and decided to drive to the east side of Tallahassee. We ended up having to go 22.7 miles to find a spot to pull over and get the bikes down from the roof rack. and our tandem out of the trailer.  We wished we could have started a little earlier, as the country road was nice!

Heart 0 Comment 3
Devra JohnsonUmmmmm. ..........should have borrowed my Mickey Mouse Disneyland Poncho.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Devra JohnsonUmmmmm. ..........should have borrowed my Mickey Mouse Disneyland Poncho.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassI thought of that!! I was wishing I had it!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We rode about 15 miles in a steady gentle rain.  What annoys me most is sweating under all the rain gear!  I'm seriously not sure it is worthwhile to wear raincoat, rain pants and shoe covers to keep the rain out when they make me sweat. Fortunately, we had a good 30 miles of riding in warm, dry (though humid) weather.

A study in red and green - the lush green background hides a row of red trees
Heart 4 Comment 1
Margery GassBeautiful, especially with the black fence.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Classic roadside swamp
Heart 1 Comment 0

One of our lasting memories will be the magnificent Live Oaks from Texas eastward.  Here are some Florida versions.

Florida Live Oak with Spanish moss
Heart 3 Comment 1
Margery GassLove the Live Oaks with Spanish moss!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We stopped for our usual picnic lunch in Greenville, FL, where Ray Charles was raised.

Madison County seems to be more agricultural than counties west of here.

On the short walk back from dinner, we enticed an emu to come say hi!

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 228 miles (367 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0