Chama, NM - Pagosa Springs, CO: Roller coaster climbing. - Wolf Creek Loop 2010 - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2010

Chama, NM - Pagosa Springs, CO: Roller coaster climbing.

I didn't realize we were going to cross the Continental Divide this trip. We ended up crossing it twice. First at this spot and at the top of Wolf Creek Pass. There was nothing significant about the climbing in this area to make it 'divide' worthy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw plenty of churches in the middle of nowhere on this trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were many ponderosa pine trees starting outside of Antonito near Fox River. It was like someone drew a line and said,"This is where the ponderosas can grow." It was the darnedest thing. They have red bark, are very tall and have long needles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ponderosas were getting more infrequent as we left Chama. I felt a sudden urgency to photograph them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are heading towards these mountains to climb Wolf Creek Pass. I already know it's a stiff 8 mile climb. Cumbres Pass was so nice to us . . . .
Heart 0 Comment 0
So far this trip we have had beautiful road surfaces - smooth pavement, no debris, no rumble strips. Until (isn't there always an until?) outside of Chama. Repaved road, but not the (fairly generous) shoulder. Rumble strips and lots of steel belted tire chunks. One got my rear tire. I stopped right away, but it was too late. It took me about a half hour to change. I was almost finished when a car stopped and asked if I needed help. Just a full size pump if they had one. No. Had they seen a cyclist in a bright orange shirt? No. Hmmm, Jacinto should be at least on the road by now. Ken was waiting for me in Chromo. I had been right behind him until the flat. He suggested Jacinto might have gone right out of the motel instead of left. That's what Ken thought we should have done until he was corrected. Perhaps Jacinto was on his way to Taos?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back down the road towards Chromo. Things were starting to look more prosperous as we approached the tourist town of Pagosa Springs. All of the ranches were nicely cared for. Ken was very careful to keep me in his sights the rest of the way to town. Although this was my last photo for the ride, we were only half done. The sky had kept us entertained all day, wondering if we would get to town or not before it rained. We kept pedaling and did manage to beat the rain except for a short sprinkle on the fun, extended downhill into Pagosa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacinto never did catch us today. I sent him a text message saying we were at the Malt Shoppe having lunch with Doug. He arrived at our neighboring motel at the same time we were eating, but didn't have his phone on. We were still having great fun with the idea he was in Taos while we were in Pagosa. Jacinto hadn't left the motel until 10:30 because of the cold and threatening clouds. Then he stopped for all kinds of different road treasures along the way. If he felt the need to carry more weight, I'm sure Doug could have given him a tent or something!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 165 miles (266 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0