Day 68: Goat River to Willow River - Western North America - 2005 - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2005

Day 68: Goat River to Willow River

It was still drizzling this morning. Trust me - - there is nothing quite like rolling up a soaking wet tent. Even though BC rest areas have a "No Camping" sign, in remote areas there are few other options for cyclists. We set out early and had a steep climb out of Goat River.

Since the Fraser River cuts through a deep canyon, this stretch of highway is up on a plateau. It drops steeply into every river drainage. Tough cycling. No sweeping vistas here - just thick primeval forest. We got to Dome Creek before noon. I had hoped for a hot bowl of soup, but alas!, the cafe was closed.So I resorted to peanut butter and jelly, instant gatorade, amd econo chocolate cookies. The lunch of champions.

The sky started to clear, so on a hilltop - right on the shoulder of the highway - we put all of our wet things out to dry. Traffic wasn't too bad and most folks went over in the other lane. It looked like a roadside rummage sale, anyway.

Jean Pierre Drying All Our Stuff on the Roadside
Heart 0 Comment 0

Jean Pierre wanted to keep on a blistering pace, so we were soon off for Purden Lake.

There Are Trees and There Are More Trees
Heart 0 Comment 0

The steep hills eased and the sky continued to clear - except for two more rain squalls.

Highway 16 near Hungary Creek - Grizzly Country
Heart 0 Comment 0

The cafe at Purden Lake - the ONLY thing between McBride and Prince George - was fabulous. Hot soup and french fries. Then it was 25 more kms to Willow River.

Tall Aspen Stands in the Forest
Heart 0 Comment 0

I wasn't keen on camping right there at the rest area - especially given the "No Camping" sign, but Jean Pierre thought it was perfect. Actually, the outhouses stunk plus there was a considerable quantity of doggie doo in the grassy area. I headed down the trail along the river and found a perfect site right beside the rapids. And - amazingly enough - the sun set in a cloudless sky!

Today's ride: 93 miles (150 km)
Total: 3,664 miles (5,897 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0