Fully Loaded Shakedown Ride: 31 miles with WIND! And HILLS! We may make this after all. - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2014

Fully Loaded Shakedown Ride: 31 miles with WIND! And HILLS! We may make this after all.

Today we decided to load the bikes (fully) and go for a ride. While we were getting everything together the wind came up. Seeing it as an opportunity (always stay positive-right) we went ahead and did what we call the Salinas Hwy 68 ride.

We go north on the bike trail to Marina then head east to Salinas to hwy 68. Turn right and head west back to Seaside. Going out we had a tail wind to die for.....knowing we were going to pay dearly I put my iPod on and just got in a groove. We had 15-25 mph head winds, side winds and tail winds. There were also inclines of 3, 5, 7, 10 and 14%. The really lucky one was the 30+ mph wind with the 7+% grade. I thought I was going through mud.

The good news is it wasn't so bad. Yes, I just said that. If it lasted 20 more miles and several days- I might have a different opinion. We will do that ride once or twice more and then we will be ready for sure. Oh yea.....nearly forgot. Traffic....there is a lot of traffic on this route which we don't usually have on most of our rides. That is also a plus for training. The good news is on Hwy 68 there is a 6-10 ft shoulder. It is still good to ride with cars going 60mph by you so you know what it sounds like.

 All in all this exercise gave a positive boost to both of us. We felt stronger than we expected given the last couple of weeks.

Sample of the day.....the Surly's at rest. Jack going up a hill and Jack working on his over the shoulder shot. He says I'm in there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0