Day 9 - Austin Junction to Baker City: What was that part about a head wind? - Off To See the Wizard - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2014

Day 9 - Austin Junction to Baker City: What was that part about a head wind?

We had a good nights sleep ...well mostly. I woke in the night and heard what I thought was a bear only to discover it was my dear husband. Little did I know that I missed the coyote/wolves he heard when he was up with a nature call. We were in the middle of a field all by ourselves so the imagination could run wild....so to speak.

Camp
Heart 0 Comment 0
No we didn't see this guy in camp...just the cafe!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Packed up went to the cafe and had breakfast and said so long to Christy and Jeff. Thanks for such a great time.

Off we set for our day of two passes plus.....we made good time on the first pass Tipton Pass at 5,124 ft. It was a steady climb for 8 miles with a nice decent. The next climb to Sumpter pass at 5,082 ft was for me a littler harder. It wasn't steady..more like long downs then way up. Rollers...anyway after 8-10 miles we reached the top without even a sign of recognition. What is up with that?! At least there was the mandatory decent sign.

Tipton Pass
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sumpter Pass 5,082 ft
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the last pass we expected this amazing downhill......NOT.

Based on this graph from the ACA Map looks like all downhill right? Not..expect some rollers of 5-7% and then watch out for the wind!
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were still some pretty steep rollers and then when we finally hit a nice downhill we had WIND!! From all sides but mainly a head wind. We were on a 3% down hill and had to work really - really hard to pull 7 mph. It was a disheartening end to a pretty good day.....the flip side is we felt pretty strong through it. However, tonight we are spent. My eyes are fading as I write this....I hear my Epsom salt bath calling my name. They really help with the lactic acid build up. Oh yea....and the sore bum.

Going to try and post more photos but the feed here is slowwwwwww.

Bye Bye Christy and Jeff
Heart 0 Comment 0
A little down the road
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ghost Town
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Town Whitney
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Great Old Bar at Austin House
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch Stop Today - Osprey Nest
Heart 0 Comment 0

Good Night!!

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 362 miles (583 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0